Chapter 25

"Mistfur! Mistfur, wake up!" A voice meowed from the exit from the warriors' den. A golden she-cat stood by her.

"Mrrh. Just a second, Hopestar!"

"Okay. Anyway, it's time for the patrols to leave. Whitefur and Jaynose have been assigned to your patrol team. Nightpool, Frostfire, and Hailnose have left, and Dustpaw, Jaggedflight, and Crowpool are preparing to go."

"Wait, did you say Frostfire..?"

"Yes, I gave her her warrior name at icemoon, did you not hear?"

"Oh, I was with Wetnose. Anyway, tell those two I'll be out in a minute."

"Okay," Hopestar meowed.

Mistfur gently padded out of the camp. She saw her patrol padding toward her. Whitefur was holding a rose in his jaws, while Jaynose was holding a squirrel.

"Guys! What's... going on?"

"I got this for you, my love." Whitefur purred in a mysterious voice.

"You should at least eat." Jaynose meowed, muffled. He dropped the squirrel in front of her. Jaynose and Whitefur made angry faces at each other. Their heads collided.

Mistfur chuckled. She wondered why the guys would act like this. She ate her squirrel and put the rose by her nest.

"Aren't you coming?" Whitefur meowed.

"Oh, yes. I'm coming." Mistfur meowed. Whitefur and Mistfur padded toward the exit.

"Jaynose, come on!" Mistfur waved a paw at him.

"Oh! Oh, yes! Oh, yes!" Jaynose meowed.

Later on the patrol, The cats asked Mistfur if she wanted to hunt. Mistfur didn't feel odd about that. She heard the two others talk about stuff.

"I'll live a long time, I assure you." Whitefur bragged.

"Nope, you will die of greencough while I stay put! I will live." Jaynose hissed.

Mistfur's mouth trembled. "Don't," she said.

"Don't what, Mistfur?" Said the two others at the same time. "Make me sad." She finished.

The two male cats immediately silenced. Whitefur started to purr a bit. "Shut up, you'll scare away all the prey." Jaynose hissed at him.

"Sorry." Whitefur stopped purring and stared angrily at the black tom. He stuck out his tongue and looked away. And together the patrol padded into the sunlight.