Chapter 29

Mistfur looked up at the sleeping queens. She saw Mossflower trembling. She yawned slightly, then kept trembling. Mistfur rested a paw on Mossflower's flank. Mossflower stopped trembling and settled down and sighed slowly. Could this be her kits? She felt around Mossflower's flank. "Four," Mistfur whispered. "They're ready to come."  

Mossflower started to stretch and open her eyes wide. "Mistfur? Thank StarClan..." she mewed quietly. She moved slowly to the medicine cat's den. Mistfur followed. 

"Where you going?" Mistfur asked. "The kits... Are coming..." Mossflower admitted. Mossflower reached the den when she dragged herself to Leafflight. She poked her side. "Ouch!" she yowled. She looked at Mossflower. Mistfur could hear them from the outside, talking away. 

Mossflower put herself on a nest. The first kit was already coming her way. Mistfur padded into the den. Her belly was growling. She was starving. She wanted to eat something to help ease the pain of her stomach. She felt full of milk again, so she collapsed on a nest next to Mossflower. She put her paw gently on Mossflower's flank.  

Mossflower squealed like a kit. She sat down more comfortably. She began to push her kits out. 

"The first one's coming. I can see its' head." Leafflight encouraged happily. Mossflower got shocked as she felt a bundle fall out. Leafflight sharpened a claw, and tore open the sac. Mistfur tried to pick up the kit. She grabbed it by the scruff and licked it slowly. The kit gasped loudly.  

The second kit was emerging from Mossflower. "This will be a challenge for me. Mistfur, can you help?" Mossflower whispered. "Okay." Mistfur meowed. Bloody membrane stuck to Mossflower like magic or something.  

The second kit tumbled out. It was covered in red membrane. Mistfur chewed the cord off and licked the membrane. The kit's breaths got deeper. It squealed so high, like it was full of helium. 

Mossflower gasped.  

"The next one's coming. Don't be scared, you're almost done." Leafflight assured her. 

Mossflower felt a paw against her flank. "One more after this," Mistfur said quietly. "It's... Wiggling. Just saying." Mossflower turned around and stared at Mistfur. Her wide green eyes were like fire. "Don't you know that I know?" Mossflower blasted at her.  

After a while, the last kit finally started to come. "It's the last one," Leafflight meowed. The new bundle slipped out. Mistfur started to lick the other kits. The blood in Mossflower started to pour out. It was coming quickly. Leafflight gave Mossflower some herbs, but it was too late. As she weakly talked to Mistfur, she smiled and whispered, "Goodbye, Mistfur, my friend, I want you to take these kits and nurse them yourself. In your clan. Or somewhere else. For me. I love you. Take care of my kits." Mossflower's shoulder shuddered hard, before collapsing and freezing forever. Mossflower... Mossflower was dead!