twelve

Monday, April 18, 2016

Mark sat nervously at his desk as he loaded up skype, searching for and adding Seán's username. He wasn't sure why he was so anxious, it wasn't like they'd been talking for very long, but then again maybe that was why.
Your contact request has been accepted by septicasshole.
Mark took a deep breath, suddenly unsure of the situation. Was he ready for this?
Jack was just as unsure, but he brought himself to click the call button, adjusting his webcam and making sure his hair looked alright. When Mark answered, both boys were surprised, looking at each other for a moment before either of them spoke.
"Hey," Mark gave a little half smile, waving at Jack through the camera.
"Hi," Jack said, biting his lip before breaking out into a grin, "Yer absolutely gorgeous, what the fook is up with that?"
Mark's eyes widened, instantly uncomfortable, fighting the urge to just hang up, "U-uh, yeah, thanks..."
Jack picked up on this immediately, leaning back in his chair. He couldn't tell if Mark was just shy, or if he had some other problem he didn't know about. "Sorry, I didn't realize that would upset you-"
"I'm not upset! Don't worry, I'm just, it just caught me off guard. I'm sorry-"
A head of fluffy blonde hair popped into the room, Mark looking up. It was Daniel, one of his roommates, giving him a smile, "Mark, you're gonna be mad."
"Then why are you smiling?"
"Because you'll be mad."
Mark rolled his eyes, giving an apologetic look to Jack, who just nodded, "Why will I be mad, Daniel?"
"Chica shit in the kitchen."
"Oh, God damnit. Okay. Sorry, Seán, I'll be right back, I have to go clean up after my dog."
"Who's Seán?"
Mark ignored Daniel's question as he exited the room, and Daniel helped himself in, leaning in to look at the computer screen.
Jack raised his eyebrows, "Hi?"
"Hey."
"I guess you're one of Mark's roommates?"
"Yup. Who are you?"
"I'm an internet friend of his, I guess."
Daniel took a seat, "You must be cool, then. Mark doesn't like very many people. Only Bob, Wade and their wives, Matt, Ryan, and I. He's hung out with Ken a couple of times, but, not often."
"I feel special."
"You should, especially since I'm pretty sure Mark never shuts up about you."
"Oh, really? What does he say?"
"He just goes on about this 'really nice guy' he met over the Internet. He really likes accents, by the way."
Jack was mildly surprised, smiling happily to himself about this new information, "Well, hey, I won't complain about that. Actually, I have a question."
"What's up?"
"Is Mark gay..? I know that seems kind of rude, but, I am and I think I like him, and I-"
"I think that's something you should find out from him."
"Oh-"
"Daniel, what are you doing?"
"Uh oh, fun police are back, bye Seán!" Daniel grinned, hopping out of the chair and leaving the room, leaving both boys confused.
"I can be fun..." Mark pouted as he sat in his chair again, looking over at Jack, "I'm not the fun police, Y'know. Just because I can't drink, doesn't mean I'm not fun."
"Why can't you drink?"
"I'm a recovering alcoholic."
Jack didn't have a response, blinking a few times before Mark started laughing.
"I actually just can't process alcohol properly, if I drink too much, I essentially will have a heart attack and die."
"Shit, that's rough. How do you party?"
Mark shrugged, "You can have fun without getting drunk."
"Depends on where you are."
"True."
There was silence, both boys sitting there, looking anywhere but at each other until Jack spoke up, "Mark, are you gay?"
He looked panicked, "What?"
"That sounds rude, I know, but I'm gay and if I can, I want to stop myself from liking you if you're not, because I've been hurt like that before and I just don't wanna fall again-"
"I-I have to go, sorry."
"Wait-"
The call has been ended.