forty seven

"I can't believe you're leaving tomorrow," Mark whispered, pulling Jack closer to him, sounding as if he were about to cry.
"It won't be that bad...We can still text and everything," Jack answered unconvincingly, tears pricking at his own eyes. He knew he had to be strong for Mark, and he was glad they were spooning, so they couldn't see each other's faces.
"It's not the same. It won't be, not now that we've met in person."
"I know, I'm sorry."
"I love you."
"I love you too."
"I guess we should get some sleep."
"I guess."
Mark wasn't ready. He didn't think he'd be able to handle Jack leaving him.
Jack wanted to go home, but he was torn. Mark felt like home to him now, but all of his things were in Ireland, and having them shipped would be expensive. He'd never be able to afford it. His family was in Ireland, too. He couldn't just leave them behind, but he couldn't leave Mark, either. Which one would survive better without him? His family, definitely. Sure, they'd miss him, but he had plenty of siblings to keep them company. He only had two friends back in Ireland, anyways.
But he had to leave.
He didn't belong in LA,  he belonged back in his hometown. In Ireland. He didn't belong in the sunny cities, he belonged in snowy forests. Mark belonged in the tanned, beautiful crowds that Jack wanted to be away from.
They both fell asleep with teary eyes and broken hearts, and the next morning, Jack was packing his bags.