forty eight

"Please."
"Mark, you gotta stop, you're tearin' me apart."
"At least extend your stay, Bob and Wade aren't leaving until tomorrow!"
"Mark, I already bought the ticket."
"Seán, I'm begging you. Stay with me."
"I can't. I don't belong here, I'll never belong here. I belong at home, halfway across the fookin' world."
"But don't you belong with me?"
Jack didn't know how to respond. Did he? Both boys had tears streaming down their cheeks as the stood in the airport. Jack's plane was about to leave, and he had to get on. The announcement came over once more, and he didn't have a choice.
"I'm sorry, Mark. I'll come back. I love you," Jack leaned in and placed a kiss on Mark's lips, turned, and left, walking towards his gate. Mark was left standing there, feeling like he couldn't breathe.
Jack was gone.
It all felt like a bad dream. He didn't know what else he expected, of course Jack would leave. It wasn't the end, it was just going to be long distance again. But he wasn't ready, he wasn't ready for him to walk away, he wasn't ready to wait to see him again, or hold him or kiss him. He wasn't ready. He'd never be ready, and he still wasn't ready for the pain he was feeling right then.
He already missed him.
He was gone.
Jack was gone.