forty six

AN/////
3k hit while I was gone ! Thank you so much. This chapter isn't as long as I wanted it to be, but I like where I ended it, so ¯\_()_/¯

Jack let out a quiet groan, making Mark giggle, "Have you really never been sunburned before?"
The two were laying on Mark's bed, Jack sprawled on his back, and Mark on his side, looking down at the younger boy.
"In case ye haven't noticed, there isn't a lot of sun in Ireland."
Mark rolled his eyes, "You're not in Ireland anymore, baby. There's lots of sun here."
Jack only sighed. There it was again, Mark calling him baby in a sweet way. How was he supposed to cope with leaving now? He didn't even know what they were. They were close, they had kissed, they definitely acted like they were dating, but they'd never discussed it before. Were they anything? It needed to be out there, let out into the open and talked about. So, Jack brought it up.
"Mark, what are we?"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, you've called me baby twice, and earlier you used the "b" word."
"The "b" word?"
"Boyfriend...."
"Oh."
They were both silent after that. Jack was quiet because he wanted Mark to say something, and Mark didn't know what to say.
"Plus...we did kind of kiss out there."
"I know," Mark answered, almost inaudibly, "I just...."
"Just what...?"
"I'm scared, Seán. Everything's happened so quickly."
"I know."
"But I'm not scared to go quickly with you, I'm... I'm scared because...."
Jack scooted closer to his friend, pulling him down to cuddle. In this situation, it was easy to ignore the burning sensation it caused on his skin.
"I'm scared because I don't want you to change your mind. I don't want you to see part of me, or learn something about me and realize that I'm not good enough for you. I know I'm not, I never have been, but I can't lose you now."
"I feel the same way, Mark. It's not easy, but that's the way it is. It's easy with you. I'm not scared with you. I'm scared someone better will come along, but not of you changing your mind, because it doesn't work like that. You can't just fall out of love with someone, trying to forget someone you loved is impossible. Something always reminds you of them. But I guess... What I really want is for you to be happy, and if I can't bring you that, then so be it."
"You do make me happy, Jack. You make me forget about all the bad things, even if it's just for a little while."
"And you do that for me too."
"I don't want you to leave."
"I know."
"Do you want to leave?"
"No."
"But you have to."
"Yeah."