21 - Dinner With A Side Of Fear

A/N 

*peeks out* Please don't kill me D: !!!!!!!! I'm really sorry for not updating sooner. It's just been crazy for me the last while!!! Camp, then family trips, then other crap, and then and then and then ... *ducks bricks that come flying at head* HEY! O_o But seriously, I'm sorry. And I know that this is short, but I had to update. I've been suffering from writer's block too! Also I'm sorry, but I may be updating less often now since school has started up again! So, I'll be going back to updating on weekends. *ducks another brick* O_o ... Okay, okay, here's the chapter! Sheesh! 

                                   «»  

JUSTIN

"Justin, will you be staying for dinner?" Liz asked as we left the foyer and entered a space that served as half sitting room and half kitchen.

I opened my mouth to answer but before I could a voice spoke up to my right.

"Yes, he is," Avery said, smirking at me.

I rolled my eyes playfully at him, "I would love to, but I have to get home by five to meet my -"

I was cut off by my phone ringing in my pocket.

" - boyfriend," I finished, looking at the display, "Speak of the devil."

Avery chuckled and I excused myself to answer the call.

"Hey Sammy."

"Hey love."

"What's going on? I thought you were still practicing," I questioned.

"I am; I took a break to call you. I'm really sorry, but I'm not going to make it home for five. Coach has some special training for us because the home coming game is getting closer," he explained apologetically.

"It's okay," I assured him, "What time will you be getting home?"

"Probably around nine thirty."

"Alright, I'll see you then."

"I love you," he said.

I smiled, "I love you too."

I heard a click from his end and he was gone. I ended the call and slid my phone back into my pocket, re-entering the kitchen.

"Looks like I can stay after all," I said, finding Liz with her head buried in the freezer.

"Yay!" she exclaimed, her voice a little muffled, "How do cheese burgers sound?"

"That would be wonderful Mrs. McIntyre," I said.

The woman finally withdrew her head from among the frozen vegetables and gave me a stern look.

At first I was confused, but when my mistake dawned on me, I hastily remedied it.

"Sorry, that would be wonderful, Liz," I amended.

She chuckled and winked at me as she washed her hands.

"Can I help with dinner at all?" I asked politely.

"Oh, no thank you dear. That's very kind, but you're the guest."

"I don't mind," I assured her, "Honestly. I actually really like to cook."

"Well if you really want to and don't mind," she left her sentence hanging looking for a response.

"Not in the slightest," I said.

"Okay, well Billy is out running some errands, so if you would like, you could fire up the barbecue and start the burgers."

"I'll get right on it," I smiled, picking up the patties and heading toward the back door.