Chapter one

Fitzgerald Grant stood looking out his window. He had a couple of months before his term as President of the United States was over. As crazy as it sounded, he had not given the rest of his term a second thought.

His mind was occupied by something, or rather someone. Olivia Pope, the love of his life and the reason his heart ached so bad. She tore it out the day she left the White House, he had given it all he had. Divorcing his wife, losing his family and he would've even given up the presidency. Tried to a couple of times.

All because of this one woman. A woman that he sent innocent soldiers to war for. A woman that stood on the seal in the Oval office and made demands. His woman.

He sighed an turned to look at the phone. Everything in him wanted to dial her number, but the fear of rejection kept him still. There was a brief knock at the door, followed by a thin red head. "Yes Abby, what is it?" Abby walked further into the room and stopped in front of his desk.

"I just wanted to go over your parting speech, sir." She said hesitatingly. Fitz looked at his Chief of staff and sighed. He had been a monster to deal with lately and poor Abby had taken the brunt of it. Everyone steer cleared of his office because of his horrible mood. He smiled at her,

"Sure take a look." He picked up the blank sheet of papers and put them in front of her. Abby looked at the papers and closed her eyes briefly, "sir, I know that you don't want to leave the oval but-"

"Abby is that what you think?" She looked shock that he cut her off. "I am absolutely relieved to be leaving this office. This box. This ..." He sighed as he searched for the right word. "Prison. The biggest mistake I could have made. I am the biggest laugh of a president in the history of presidents."

He stood up and walked back to the window. "I am not leaving behind a legacy. I am not leaving behind something great." He turned back to Abby. "I am leaving behind a mess for Susan Ross to clean up." He shook his head, "that woman wears the white hat." He said with a laugh. "Everything I was when I first became president." He grabbed his glass of scotch, "except she actually earned hers." He mumbled, taking a sip.

"Sir, the people love you. They may have lost a little respect for you when word of the affairs aired." Abby stammered. "And the questionable war decision, and divorcing your wife and moving in your mistress."

Fitz gave her a side eye.

"My point is," Abby said talking a bit faster. "After all of that the people are still loyal to their president. They still love you sir."

Fitz finished his scotch, and sat back in his seat, regarding Abby under his hooded gaze. "The people's love isn't what I'm worried about."

Abby furrowed her brows in confusion. "Then what is it sir?"

They made eye contact and Abby sighed when she understood.

***********

"Olivia!" Quinn Perkins picked up her pace to catch up with her boss. Boy for someone in heels, she sure walks fast. Quinn thought rolling her eyes. She finally caught up to her boss, who didn't show any signs of hearing her name being called, and slowed her pace.

"What is it Quinn?" Olivia Pope said, checking the time on her watch. "I'm busy."

Quinn mimicked her quietly, certain she couldn't hear her. "I know you're busy Olivia, but I need to tell you something before you go into your office. You see I-"

"Quinn I really don't have time. There is something I need to do before I leave today, so whatever it is you'll have to wait until I'm don't or figure it out without me."

Quinn stopped as Olivia stepped into the elevator, then turned around and walked back out of the building throwing her hands in the air in frustration.

Olivia barely noticed as she pressed her floor, then glued her eyes to her phone. The elevator dinged and she stepped off onto her floor and made her way to her office without looking up from her phone.

Fitz's haunted face stared back at her. She let out a shaky breath and reached to open the door to her office, to find it was already opened. She frowned and looked up, locking eyes with a watery eyed stranger.

"Can I help you?" She asked hesitantly as tears streamed down the woman's face. She looked to be in her mid forties, fifties maybe, with her slightly graying black hair pulled into a bun at the base of her neck. She had pretty soft features, honey caramel skin, and long black lashes that framed her dark brown eyes. She was a very attractive woman besides her messy face.

"Hello Olivia," she said through sniffs. "My name Is Danielle James and I need your help. Please."

Olivia looked back into the hallway of OPA and then walked farther into her office. "What can I help you with Danielle?"

"My baby is missing, and I need you to find her."

Olivia frowned in shocked confusion. "Your baby? Why haven't you gone to the police?" She said sitting on the couch opposite from the older woman.

Danielle looked down at her hands. "The police won't help me," she said twisting her fingers together. "You see ..." She paused again trying to gather her thoughts. "She was pronounced dead over thirty years ago." She said looking up at Olivia's face, growing angry when she saw her sympathetic look.

"She is alive Ms. Pope I just know it. If anybody can help me find her, I know you can."

"I know you want your daughter back. I do, but I have no idea what we can do for you." Olivia said leaning forward and crossing her leg. She looked the woman in the eyes.

"This happened so long ago I'm not even sure where to start."

Danielle dug into her purse and pulled out a thick vanilla folder and slapped it on the table. "You can start here."