Chapter 17

Olivia sat in her office and looked back and forth from her new mother to her father. She had been shaking uncontrollably since she found out about Vanity. They were talking to her, explaining everything, but she couldn't hear them over the blood roaring in her ears.

She felt as though her gut was punctured and she was slowly dying. Her heart hammered in her chest as she thought about Maya.

"Does mom know?" She asked suddenly. Eli looked up sharply, then shook his head. "Your mother thinks you are hers." He said quietly.

"How?" Olivia demanded.

"Maya went into labor a week before Vanity. She went into labor early and had to have surgery because her heart failed during the birth."

Olivia listened with wide eyes, and Vanity kept her head bowed.

"The baby was stillborn." He said sadly. "It was a boy."

Olivia backed up until she felt the back of her legs bump against the chair and she plopped down into it.

They had her drugged the whole time and I made the doctor and all of the nurses lie to her about the baby."

"How could she not have known. I was born a week later." Olivia said stoically.

"She was sedated and under medications until Vanity had the baby."

Vanity made a strangled sound, then put her face in her hands.

"Why did you do it?" Olivia asked Eli, staring at vanity. "You didn't love mom."

Eli looked at his daughter, then to Vanity.

"I fell in love with her." He said quietly. Olivia rolled her eyes. "You're lying, you and mom hate each other!"

"Not her," he said looking at Olivia, then turning is gaze to Vanity. At that moment, she looked up and they made eye contact.

Vanity's eyes turned hard. "You're a liar!" She screamed, jumping up to stand in his face.

"Olivia slapped her hand over her mouth at the outburst. Her heart beat widely in her chest. She was scared for Vanity, but Eli remained calm.

"You took my child from me." She said sadly. "You took my baby away! And you left me in the care of those heartless doctors! I didn't have a penny to my name!" She screamed out the last part. "You didn't love me. You hated me! Why!?"

Vanity was livid. The veins were popped out of her neck and there were endless tears running down her check. She chest rose and fell quickly with each angry breath she took. She lifted her hand and slapped Eli.

The room went quiet. There was fear in her eyes, but she was still angry. She slapped him again, and again until Eli finally grabbed both of her wrists. She struggled with him, yanking on her arms for him to let her free, but he held her until she collapsed against him in tears.

Olivia was speechless. She had never seen anyone do that to her father. Even Maya never put her hands on him. She was still shaking and she felt as though she would pass out at any moment.

"There are people out there who watch me. Day in and day out they watch to see if I have any weaknesses." He tilted Vanity's chin until they were looking into each other's eyes. "You are my weakness." He said in a low tone, then he looked at Olivia. "Both of you are."

"You were protected Vanity, but I couldn't stand the thought of me not being there to protect Olivia, so I took her with me."

Vanity tore herself out of his arms and turned toward Olivia.

"I guess you know the truth now." She said sadly. "I never got a chance to watch you grow up. To kiss you goodnight or wake you up for school. I never got to see you grown into the woman you are today."

Olivia looked at her as emotionless as she could. She didn't want to cry with this woman. Didn't want to feel any connection toward her. But Vanity looked so sad.

"Can I hug you?" She asked. Olivia looked shock, she turned toward her dad and he smile and nodded. She swallowed hard and nodded. Vanity smiled and walked up, slowly putting her arms around her, when they heard a cocking of a gun. They turned toward the door and Olivia gasped.

"Get your hands off of my daughter."
**********************************