Chapter 8

"What are you doing here?" Olivia said slowly as she closed the door to her apartment. Fitz sat on her couch with a glass of wine in his hand and one on the table for her. She leaned against the door with her arms folded and regarded him through a hooded gaze.

"I thought we needed to talk in private." He said leaning to set his glass down and turned toward her. "The White House is a big spy house and we both know there's no such thing as a secure line. So here I am."

"We don't have anything to talk about Fitz," she said never moving away from the door. She watched as his jaw clenched. Something was wrong. His eyes were glassy and he sat so rigidly, like he couldn't relax. "Fitz," Olivia said hesitantly as she made her way slowly to him. "What is the matter? What's wrong?"

He smiled and Olivia's heart skipped a beat. The smile didn't reach his eyes, in fact he looked sad. Something was wrong, something was off, but she didn't know what it was. She reached him and framed his face with her hands, smoothing the sides with her thumbs.

He closed his eyes shaking his head. "Nothing's wrong," he said in a whisper. "Not anymore."
******************
"Huck have you seen Olivia?" Quinn asked walking through his office door. Huck had his eyes glued on his computer screen, never once looking up at Quinn.

"Have you tried her cell?" He asked distractedly.

"Like a billion times, she's not answering and there's a woman in her office waiting on her."

"Did you leave a message?" He said still looking at his screen. "Yes I left a damn message Huck what are you doing?" She walked further into the room to look over his shoulder. Huck closed out of what he was doing and turned to look at her.

"She's probably busy Quinn. Why don't you just tell the woman to come back." He said, then turned back to his computer, only to sit and wait until she left. Quinn huffed a breath and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

"I'm sorry Miss, what's your name again?" The woman smiled at her and stood. "Thank you Quinn. I will come back when Olivia is available." With that she walked out of the room. Quinn stood looking after her with her hands on her hips. "I'm going to quit." She mumbled walking to her office. "I'm just going to pack my things and quit."

*********************
Abby paced around the empty Oval Office, twisting her fingers in agitation. The president's speech was in an hour and she had no clue where he was. His two personal guards were also gone, but as far as security, that seemed to be all he had at the moment.

"How stupid!" She whispered angrily. "Stupid stupid STUPID." She knew that her job was about to be extremely hard today. As soon as the president misses his live interview, there would a swarm of reporters demanding to know why. She stopped, closing her eyes and pinching the brim of her nose.

Then suddenly her eyes snapped open, and before she could change her mind, she ran out of the office and called for a car. With her secret service on her tail she hopped in the black Sudan and yelled at the driver. "Olivia Pope's home please. And step on it."

*********************
Olivia tore herself from Fitz' tight grasp, desperately trying to catch her breath. "What's the matter with you!" She said through gasps of breath. Fitz looked torn between caring and not. She saw the struggle on his face and backed up as she rubbed her aching sides. Tears gathered in her eyes as she looked at him. He was lost.

Gone was her lover and best friend. She didn't know who he was now. Even his eyes were different as they looked at her with a mix of love and hatred. She pressed a hand against her stomach, unable to tear her gaze away from his. "Fitz?" She said in a shaky whisper. He hated her. She could see it in his eyes. It made her stomach turn.

"After all that I gave up. Everything that I sacrificed. I went to war for you Olivia. Just to have you back safely in my arms. To be able to look into your eyes again. To know that you were safe again." He walked towards her. She backed up until the wall met her back.

"I was your hero. I tried to save you every chance I could. I would have given you the world if it were possible." He closed in on her, grabbing her small waist and pulling her roughly against him. His forehead rested against hers as he brushed her lips softly. Tears streamed down her face at his words and he brought one of his hands up slowly to wipe them away.

"Why did you leave me?" He said against her lips. She tried to turn her face away and he grabbed it to snap her head back around to face him. Olivia's eyes widened and she gasped in pain. As soon as he heard her he let her go, but his eyes still blazed with anger.

She rubbed her face with shaky hands, then hesitantly, place them on his face. She smoothed out the wrinkles on his forehead and ran her hands over the rest of his face.

"I know you are angry with me Fitz," she said in a calming whisper. Her heart beat of a rhythm of fear, but she wasn't afraid of him. "I am angry with myself. I miss you every minute that I'm not with you. I cry myself to sleep at night. My bed is so cold with you not in it." She said while caressing his face. "I'm mad at me too."

He had closed his eyes when she began talking. Her voice was like a balm to his emotions. He pressed his face into her hands, his own tears threatening to spill down his face.

He listened to her breathing and noticed that it matched his own. They belonged together and he was tired of the back and forth. She needed him just as much as he needed her.

"We were made for each other Olivia." He said opening his eyes to look into hers. "I will not allow your selfishness to keep us apart any longer. I promise you I'm not going anywhere." He said, and Olivia shuddered at the absolute resolve in his voice. "And neither are you."