How You Met (Part 1)

Ned the Pie Maker (Pushing Daisies): You discovered the Pie Hole on a rainy night. You were drenched from head to toe, completely unprepared for the downpour. The colorful pie shop seemed welcoming and warm, so you walked in and found a seat by an empty booth near the windows. The shop was empty. 

"I'm sorry, but we're closed about twenty minutes ago," a tall, lanky man said as he walked towards your booth. You were wiping the beads of rain water rolling down your face from your hair. "Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't read the sign out front," you apologized and began to scoot out of the leather seat. The pie maker felt sorry for you as his eyes darted from the window at the pouring rain outside to your soaking wet clothes and smudged makeup. He shook his head. "It's alright. It's pouring outside anyways. Why don't you stay for a little while, at least until the rain dies down."

You smiled, grateful for the offer and nodded. "Coffee?" he asked. You nodded again and watched him made a beeline to the back of the counter and poured a cup of steaming hot coffee. You shook off the coat you had on and noticed the puddles of water forming on the tiled floor beneath you. You felt your cheeks burned as the pie maker returned with a cup of coffee, a slice of pie, and a hand towel draped across his arm. He placed the plates before you and handed you the towel. "There's a toilet, if you want to dry yourself," he gestured at the door next to the entryway to the kitchen. "Thanks," you mumbled and made your way to the toilet.

You spent the next two hours, chatting with the pie maker about the shop, his love for pies, what you do for a living, and what the two of you had in common. You immediately noticed his shy demeanor and kindness. How his lips formed a smile with dimples framing it, and the way his eyes twinkled when he got excited. That was when you knew you were hooked, and became a regular at the cafe. Eventually you  mustered the courage to ask Ned out on a date after a year of getting to know each other, breaking down the walls Ned had built around him, and forming a friendship that you knew would last a lifetime.

Joe MacMillan (Halt and Catch Fire): You were a newly hired intern for MacMillan Utility. So far, your day had comprised of you sitting by your desk, filing, and helping out the senior staff whenever they requested. You had not met the boss until after lunch, when a man in an expensive suit strolled in through the cubicles, and the office became evidently quieter as he headed straight to his office. He did not look happy at all. You shrugged it off and felt relieved that you weren't assigned directly to him.

The day went by in a blur as you were handed file after file of paperwork that nobody else wanted to handle. Before you realized, the sun had already set, and the cityscape were lit up with artificial lights instead. You let out a yawn as your stomach grumbled. You looked around the office and noticed that you were alone. Puzzled as to whether you said goodbye to anyone or whether they said it to you, you got up from your desk and stretched. You shuffled to the break room, in search for some snacks.

You were humming to yourself as you waited for the coffee to percolate in the machine. "Are you the new intern?" a deep voice asked from behind, causing you to jump and shrieked. You spun around and found yourself face to face with your new boss, Joe MacMillan. He had a smirk as he crossed his arms, and leaned against the door frame. You were still startled by his unexpected presence and nodded quickly. You extended a hand towards him, "I'm Y/N." He shook your hand and introduced himself. You couldn't help but found yourself mesmerized by that perfect smile of his, and those glinting dark eyes.

"What are you still doing in the office so late?" he asked, obviously curious since he was usually the only one left at this time.

"There was quite a bit of paperwork, and I got carried away finishing them," you replied.