Secrets (Part 1)

Ned the Pie Maker (Pushing Daisies): You sighed inwardly as you watched When Harry Met Sally on TV with Ned sat beside you on the couch. His arm was draped lazily over your shoulders pulling you close to him. You leaned against him, one hand holding his, fingers laced with his. You felt perfectly contented with where you were. It had been almost two years since this steady relationship had begun. It was nights like these that reminded you good things could actually happen to you. What you weren't aware of was the secret Ned had been keeping from you from the very first day of meeting you, and he knew it was time to let you know the truth. He had imagined every possible reaction and what his responses would be to the imagined reactions. So, when the credits rolled across the screen, he pulled away to pick up the remote, clicking the button to switch off the TV.

"That's such a great classic," you commented, fighting back a yawn.

"Mmhmm..." Ned drew in a deep breath, turning to face you. He took your hands with his, feeling the softness of your skin against his coarser ones. "Y/N?"

"Yea?" you looked at him with a hint of a smile.

"There's something I need to tell you," he began, his tone steady and serious. You nodded, wiping away the smile on your face. He inhaled deeply once again, bracing himself. "This is not easy for me to say. I've not really told anyone about it. It's something about me that very few know. I..."

You tightened your grip around his hands, assuring him while your heart began to pound slightly faster than before. Ned nodded his thanks. "Since young, I have this ability... there's this thing I can do with the dead," he mumbled, and shook his head quickly as he just heard himself. "What I meant to say is... I'm able to bring the dead back to life with a touch, and if I touch them again, they'll die again. But there are all these other consequences... like if I bring something back to life for over a minute, then something else within the vicinity would die. I don't know how I come to have this ability or why. It's something I'm not able to track the origins of. I know it sounds absurd and you probably think I'm crazy but," he peered right in your eyes. "Please know that I'm not making this up and I'm not crazy. It's just part of who I am. And I didn't dare to tell you earlier because I'm not really sure how to, and I'm afraid how you would react. I've gotten so used to keeping it as a secret that it's not in my nature to tell anyone about it. But I love you, and I know in order for this relationship to keep moving forward, I would eventually need to tell you everything about me and... so... yea," he bit the insides of his lower lip, his gaze still held yours while he tried to gauge your thoughts. You were quiet, processing the words that poured out of Ned.

"Y/N?"

You slowly withdrew your hands from his and ran one over your hair. It was quite a piece of information. You weren't exactly mad at him for not telling you earlier, and you weren't exactly freaked out by it either. You felt slightly confused as to what you were feeling. With Ned's stare piercing through you, you knew he was worried. You glanced back up at him. He looked scared, vulnerable. There were his puppy eyes. You reached over and held his hands once again. "Show me," you uttered. Ned tilted his head to the side, unsure of what he just heard.

"Show me," you repeated once more, this time your lips curled into a small smile to show him you were alright. Ned scrunched his eyebrows as he studied you. He couldn't quite believe your reaction which made his next reaction something out of the ordinary for Ned. He pulled his hands away from yours and leaned closer, crashing his lips onto yours as he held you close, letting you know how relieved he felt and how grateful he was.

Joe MacMillan (Halt and Catch Fire): Your breathing was ragged, just like Joe's. Both of you were staring at the white ceiling above you. The skin on your back felt raw from the contact you just had with the carpet you were laying on. Joe pushed himself off the floor. You studied his bare back which was sprinkled with freckles. He let out a chuckle as he pulled on his black pants and reached for his abandoned white dress shirt nearby. He also retrieved your blue blouse and handed it to you which you took gratefully. You sat up next to Joe and slipped the blouse over your body, buttoning it.