How He Makes It Up to You (Part 1)

Ned the Pie Maker (Pushing Daisies): The incessant banging on the door woke you up from your slumber. Dazed and groggy, you checked your phone for the time – 03:15 – before making your way to the source of the noise. You took a peek through the peephole to find a rather disheveled looking Ned at your doorstep. He had an arm rested against the door frame while the other was squeezed in a fist as he pounded lazily on your door. You ran a hand through your messy hair, and unlocked the front door, stopping the noise immediately.

"Ned?"your voice was still hoarse from drowsiness.

"Y/N!"Ned straightened himself at the sight of you, rubbing the back of his neck. You realized then that he was still in his work clothes from earlier; hints of flour and dried dough stained his black t-shirt.Digby was by his side with a basket and a white cloth to hide its contents.

"I just want to apologize ... for earlier. I know I can be difficult –what with my fears and quirks – but I hope you won't give up on me,on us this soon. I- I promise I'll work harder on it." He cleared his throat, brushing back his unruly hair from his forehead.

"I love you" He took your hands with his, ignoring your shocked expression. He brought them to his lips, leaving a kiss on each of your knuckle. He let go of you to remove the white cloth from the basket Digby was holding to reveal a freshly baked pie. "Forgive me?" he added softly.

You studied his eyes, seeking for an answer. You could see the hope and remorse in them. You directed your gaze to Digby who was staring back at you with his puppy dog eyes. You could feel your heart melt at the sight of the two hopeless beings on your front door.

Ned held your hands once again, closing the gap between him and you."Does that mean yes?" he asked.

Thecorner of your lips tugged in response. Ned grinned, pulling you in for a kiss – something he hadn't initiated in a while.

Joe MacMillan (Halt and Catch Fire): It had been a week since you and Joe had spoken. Somehow you had managed to avoid him since the fight. The lack of attempts from Joe to apologize or even speak to you indicated the choice he had made. You were heartbroken by this but were adamant on hiding the sadness from your colleagues.

You were packing up for the day when you noticed a post-it note left on your desk. The familiar handwriting tipped you off of the identity of the writer. 'Meet me in my office at 7.'

You stole a glimpse of your watch - it was ten minutes past 7. You read the note a few more times, just to be certain. Might as well get it over with, you thought. You slung the bag over your shoulder, and headed straight for the office. Your heart pounded as you destination neared.

"You were looking for me?" you asked upon entering. You didn't wait to catch his gaze, neither did you knock.

Joe was watching the city through the windows of his office with his back facing you. Your voice startled him which was unusual. You stood your ground by the doorway. Joe turned to you. You were surprised by the tears in his eyes. Something you hadn't seen before. Your heart dropped at the sadness in his eyes.

"I thought you weren't coming." His voice was low, soft... and it trembled.

"It was a busy day. I missed your note," you muttered.

"I thought you ignored it on purpose." He stepped closer.

You were only aware then how terrible he looked – messy hair, wrinkled clothes, dark circles under his eyes, unshaven. He stopped mere inches from where you were standing. He reeked of booze, yet he didn't seem drunk or tipsy.