Acceptance

Adding the last decor to the cake, I stepped away to admire my work. A pair of strong arms sneaked from behind around my waist: "It looks great," a pair of lips touched my temples.

"Is your parents' house far away?" I placed my palms over his hands that rested on my stomach.

He spun me around: "It is a ten minute ride."

"Then I will put this into the box, change, and we can leave?" I lifted on my toes to compensate the height difference. He brought his nose down to mine until they barely brushed.

"Yeah," his soft lips pressed against mine and lingered there for a while. I smiled at him and pushed away to finish with the cake.

How do we impress people that we meet for the absolute first time? How do we gain points of admiration? How do we make a good first impression to significant other's family? From the very beginning people bring presents to leave a good effect. We still do that, perhaps, to show that we are willing to give, we are willing to be nice, we are willing good. A handmade present will symbolise our intention to share part of ourselves that screams of trust.

Him and I didn't have a chance to let ourselves in - as soon as the car doors were closed, house door was opened by a woman, who owned a joyous smile, who neared us in a rushed walk. "You must be Eleanor!" She went in for a hug as I barely managed to pass the cake on to him so it doesn't get squished. The motherly hug radiated nothing less than warmth and love. 

To make his mother acknowledge him he spoke up: "Mom, this is the promised cake. Eleanor finished it just half an hour ago," he proudly stated as his mother threw him in a tight hug.

She took the box from him and thanked me before she ushered us inside, where we were greeted by his father, who was, too, smiley and positive. Soon his sister rushed in and without a proper greeting started apologizing to me for running late.

It is wonderful to sit in a company of significant other's family, and to know that they have accepted you. So many heartwarming laughs are shared. So many stories are shared. In the middle of sipping sweet tea you realise that you would not trade moments like this for anything. Ever.