Compromises

Some months had come and gone. A lot of time was spent on wedding preparations. Work was draining most of my energy, too. But I still was happy about the decision to move here. 

My family had arrived early in the morning. Majorly they were here to meet his family and to help me choose the dress. By help I meant that they just have to take part in that, but I will make the choice myself without listening to anybody.

Bridesmaid's dresses were already chosen, since I had only three of them -  my best friend, who was also maid of honour, a newlyfound friend of mine, and of course his sister.

The family meet-up went by smoothly, they all were smiley and satisfied. I was excited to bring them all, except my fiance, to see which dress I would choose.

The next morning him and I were rushing for cake. We still had had to decide what we wanted.

"I like red velvet," I stated.

"I vote for chocolate," he shot back.

I stayed quiet for a while trying to figure out how to get him to agree to my choice. I took another bite. "Well, our colours are black, white and deep red. We can have black and white cake with red roses, and imagine how beautiful it would look when we cut the cake - the middle would be red." 

"Can we at least have the bottom layer chocolate?" he pleaded.

"But then the first cut goes into either top or middle layer."

"Deal. See it is all about compromises," he kissed me tasting like chocolate.

And indeed it was. Everything between us was about compromises. Even though I got the upper hand anyway, at least he was happily getting his chocolate cake on our wedding day. I was focused on making him happy wihout losing myself, without burning out. Maybe I did not get exactly what I wanted, but I do realise that he does not get his perfection too. But the both of us ended up satisfied, and it was all that really mattered.