Chapter 5 : The Sorting

"So, the Jet twins." His electric blue eyes sparkled as he surveyed the two in his office. 

Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk, a small smile playing across his face. The twins were sitting on the big arm chairs, both feeling a bit intimidated by the older man. 

Both had apparated with Dumbledore, just outside of the gates of Hogwarts. The twins had already acquired their licenses at Uagadou, since it was a general rule that 7th years had to be able to apparate in and out the school for their various classes.They were told it was easier than joining the first years on the Black Lake, especially since they were older than the average first year. 

When they had arrived, they had walked into the huge castle like school, with it's multiple windows glinting in the morning sun. The castle hummed in the heat of the late summer, the grass was green, the Black Lake was twinkling like a huge cluster of tiny diamonds and the breeze was warm and inviting. 

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, since your case is very special and virtually unheard of, I apologize that you could not take the train with the rest of the school. It is a much loved tradition by students, but this will be easier for you two to acclimate. All the professors agreed that since you have already turned 17 and the Sorting in front of the school is a little redundant for you two, we will introduce and welcome you privately into Hogwarts. We will sort you into your houses here in the office and after that, we will give you a tour of the castle and an introduction to the various professors."

The twins nodded in understanding. Dumbledore stood up and went into a little door behind him, on the right. Charlotte glanced at Jayden but he was engrossed with the room and all the little things in it.

It was full of objects in various sizes, some she recognized as having very powerful magical properties. The sunlight was glittering in from outside and the pensieve that was close to his balcony, glittered in the light. The portraits around the room conversed and whispered as they stared down at the transfer students. 

Charlotte wasn't quite sure who the portraits were of but she thought that most of the portraits were of old headmasters. They were naturally curious about the twins and she couldn't really find fault in that.

Said twins ignored them, as they continued eyeing the room around them, curiously. Her eyes landed on something that was truly remarkable. She found herself staring at a perch, one that was obviously for a big bird. There were red feathers, the colour of flames, floating around it and Jayden looked at his sister in excitement.

"C, it's a phoenix." His voice was full of excitement. 

She nodded in mute wonderment. They had never seen one before, since the Phoenix bird tends to be more in the Northern Hemisphere rather than the Equator where they grew up. Their parents never strayed much further than the African wildlife they loved, magic and muggle.

"Oh, I see you have noticed Fawkes's perch. He is busy somewhere, I never know where he goes to. Curious birds, curious personalities. Always feel like he is much more intelligent than I am." Dumbledore's voice faded a little but picked back up again, "Alright, please join me here."

He gestured for them to join him at a stool that was against one of the walls. He was holding an old, tattered hat. Charlotte hesitated but stood up and joined the old wizard with her brother.

"I am always curious as to where Uagadou students will be sorted, it's a very different school to Hogwarts. From what I understand, your school doesn't really use wands?" He asked the two, his eyes twinkled merrily in his curiosity.

"No, it's a choice. Many of the students cannot afford to pay for wands, so many choose not to buy it. We are much more precise with wandless magic." She smirked, proud of their schools rapport of advanced magic. 

Jayden shook his head at his sister, she was being daft. Jayden knew that Dumbledore was aware that Uagadou used wandless magic.  

Dumbledore eyed her and then grinned.

"Fascinating. So which of you is going to go first?" He gestured to the hat. 

Jayden stepped forward immediately, wanting to get it over with and irk his sister at the same time. She always wanted to do things first and it was fun to annoy her when she couldn't.

"I will." He smirked at her and sat down on the stool. 

She pouted at him and his smirk grew bigger.

"Brilliant!" Dumbledore placed the hat down on his head.

After a minute, the hat suddenly shouted out, "GRYFFINDOR!".

Charlotte jumped at the shout and Jayden grinned at the choice. Dumbledore clapped him on his shoulder, congratulating him.

"You will probably be in Gryffindor too." Jayden stated as he came to stand next to Charlotte, and she nodded in agreement. 

They were twins and went together everywhere, even if they didn't choose to do so.

She sat down on the stool, and the hat came down over her head. It went dark but a voice filtered through the darkness encasing her head.

"Oh, another Jet and the darker twin at that. You have a noble brother and you, yes you, are more self serving than he is. Cunning but brave. Loyal but not as kind as an Hufflepuff. Hm.. You are meant for more than what Ravenclaw can offer you, although intelligence is your strong suit. Yes you have many layers to you..." She didn't like the way the hat was laying her personality out to bare. Her hands curled into tight fists and her shoulders hunched up in anger. 

Jayden couldn't help but chuckle at his sister's fiery attitude, curious as to what the hat said.

"Yes, yes I think that I have come to a very suitable house for you."