Chapter 6 : Gryffindor

CHARLIE entered the common room, feeling full and satisfied from the Opening feast in the Great Hall. He plopped down on a couch in front of the fire and stretched out. He wasn't quite ready to leave for his prefect duties yet and just wanted to relax. Luckily, Freya wanted to show the first years where the common room was and this meant he had a free pass from the duty. He was very grateful for her enthusiasm.

Kane and Oliver entered the room with a group of older Gryffindor's, laughing and being boisterous. They saw their friend sitting on his own and came to sit on the couches next to him. The group dispersed, everyone excited to be around their friends again. The three friends nodded in greeting and relaxed in the couches.

By the time they had finished eating, it was late evening and a lot of Gryffindors were hanging out, catching up with their friends summers. It went quiet all of a sudden, after an hour of boisterous sounds, as people looked up at the boys staircase behind him. The redhead turned around on the chair and there stood Jayden, who had a small smirk on his face. Charlie was a little surprised but stood up to greet the tall boy. He admired Jayden's confidence to not be embarrassed in such a situation, not that Charlie was lacking in that department.

"Jayden, you alright? Didn't see you at the Opening Feast." They shook hands and with that the common room's noise level increased back to normal. 

Kane and Oliver nodded to the transfer, and relaxed back down on the couches.

"Oh yeah, my sister and I were given a private tour around the castle."

"Nice one! Never heard of that before." Jayden nodded at Charlies statement.

"Yeah, apparently it's unheard of." He shrugged, indifferent and sat down on one of the couches that was unoccupied. 

He stretched, positioned himself comfortably and relaxed. He had taken a nap after the tour but didn't feel too rested. His mind was too busy with the changes happening around him.

"Where's your sister?" Charlie asked, trying not to sound interested. 

It failed, since the other two waggled their eyebrows at him. He glared at them, while Jayden surveyed the action with a grin. 

"Oh, she got sorted into Slythering, Slytherin? I thought the hat was trying to take the mick but turns out 'that is not the case'." Jayden put up mock quotation marks with his fingers, getting amused grins from the boys around him.

"Dumbledore corrected us there. We're always together, so this is different." Jayden said. 

Charlie nodded, a little disappointed. He didn't take much stock in the whole house rivalries and stereotypes but he generally didn't like Slytherins'. Their self serving personalities clashed too much with his quiet, loyal nature.

"You're always together?" Kane asked, finally entering the two sided conversation.

"We're twins. She was born five minutes before me." Jayden shrugged, his eyes following a sixth year girl walking by. 

She glanced at him and he winked at her. She went bright red and rushed up to the girls dormitory. Kane was obviously amused by Jayden's antics and was grinning as he watched the girl rush away. Oliver had picked up a Quidditch magazine and had lost interest in the conversation. Charlie shook his head, amused at the group. He could tell that Jayden was going to fit in their group of friends, just fine.

"Twins. You two really don't seem like it." Charlie said, bringing the conversation back to the topic of conversation. 

Before Jayden could reply, another round of noise entered the common room. The portrait swung open to reveal Freya and a bunch of lower years.

"Charlie!" Freya ran over and sprung into his chair, winding him.

"Oomph! What have I told you about doing this Freya." Charlie groaned out from underneath her, as she laughed.

"Sorry Charlie, couldn't help but be excited to see your red hair." She grinned at him, ruffling his short hair and he laughed. 

He pushed her hands away from his hair. He started tickling her, and she couldn't stop squirming and laughing until she fell off his lap.

"Bloody hell." She laughed, rubbing her backside as she stood up. 

Kane laughed at his girlfriend who shot him a mock glare. She sat down next to him and cuddled into Kane, after greeting him with a kiss. He wrapped his arm around her. 

Jayden eyed the two as they started furiously whispering to each other, obviously having their own conversation and being in their own little world. Charlie was used to this happening so he didn't comment on it, still curious about the new Slytherin. Oliver finally glanced up from his magazine and smiled at Freya.

"Alright Freya? Any future quidditch players?" His question was a tradition, one he asked at the start of every new year since he's known them.

"Nope." She popped the 'p' and he frowned. 

She grinned at his expression.

"Just taking the mick Wood, of course. There is always potential in first years. There's a particularly stocky kid."

"I would think it's my job to look for new up-and-coming talent." Charlie said, grinning at Wood's excited expression.

"Yeah if they had dragon tails and hippogriff wings." Kane quipped and everyone burst into laughter. 

Jayden grinned, but didn't quite understand the inside joke. Freya saw his confusion and smiled.

"He is a animal nut, even though he's the Quidditch captain and really should be more invested in our team." Freya stated with a smirk, Charlie glaring at her. 

Jayden eyed the redhead, interested by this new information.

"Hey, at least what I'm interested in is academic." Charlie said defensively. 

Freya shook her head at him.

"Do you guys need a new beater?" 

The question caused all three boys to swing their heads towards Jayden, with excited expressions. Freya laughed at the expressions on their faces and winked at Jayden.

"Oh Merlin, look at the can of worms you opened. I think you're their new best friend." 

The boys started asking Jayden questions, while Freya left them for bed, shaking her head and muttering about 'stupid boys and their toys'.