Chapter 8 : Rivalry

That Monday, the arrival of the twins had spread throughout the school and they were under severe scrutiny from the Hogwarts student body. Jayden had already cultivated a positive reputation in Gryffindor and had made friends easily with everyone. Charlotte was a mystery to many, having kept to herself and her new friends in Slytherin.

Charlotte bit into the toast, aware of everyone's stares on her. She sighed and gave a couple of Hufflepuffs girls a dirty look as they whispered and giggled while ogling her. Both went red and looked away, their heads whipping around whiplash fast.

"For Merlin's sake, why can't they just move past it?" Charlotte moaned to Hunter and Leah. 

Leah looked up from the Daily Prophet, rolled her eyes and gave some other girls an icy glare. Hunter was sleeping on his arms on the table, his breathing slow and steady. He didn't react to her question, too tired to lift his head.

"Because you're so mysterious and fit and weird and nothing juicy has happened since last year. You're the new gossip column in the Daily Hogwarts." Leah winked and Charlotte laughed. 

She returned to reading, her mood chipper and bright.

"Yeah, yeah I agree." Hunter yawned. 

He put his head back on his arm and nuzzled into it, ready to go back to bed. He was a night owl and because his mind worked on over drive, he was becoming an insomniac. Charlotte nudged Leah over his head and she looked up with an annoyed face.

Charlotte gestured to Hunter and a grin spread on Leah's face. 

She poked Hunter hard in the side and he shot up from the bench, startling everyone around him and leaving the two laughing.

"You two are mental! I can't sleep when I'm around you two." He huffed and stormed out of the Great Hall. 

The girls laughed at their friend and continued on with their breakfast.

The group of Gryffindor's strolled into the Great Hall a few minutes later, their conversation loud and boisterous. Charlie and Kane were behind the group, in a serious conversation while Jayden, Freya, Wood and a few other girls were discussing the World Cup during the summer, where Canada had won. They all sat down, earning a few glares, giggles and stares from various students in the room. 

This group was known differently in every house. Slytherin as the Prick's of Gryffindor, something that was rather self-explanatory. In Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, they were known as the Charmings. Gryffindor they were treated as royalty, something that didn't sit too well with Charlie or Wood.

Jayden eyed his sister, who sat on the other side of the hall. She seemed to have made some friends with a couple of Slytherin's. They seemed to suit her quiet, shy energy something his new group of friends certainly did not. Charlie, Wood, Kane and Freya were all quidditch players, athletes and they had the same manic energy he had. Jayden liked it this way, and although he loved his twin, this was a much better place for him personally. He knew she wouldn't thrive within the group and would only escape into her shell. 

He stood up and walked over to the Slytherin table, aware of the stares from the student body. From what Charlie described to him, the rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor was legendary and it was rare for any of the students of said houses to be friends or even friendly. He sat down next to his sister, causing a few students to give him dirty looks. He rolled his eyes and greeted his twin.

"Well hey there, if it isn't Miss Hippogriff." Charlotte grinned at her nickname.

"Hey there sir Niffler." His snort made Leah glance up from her newspaper and eye him.

He was a handsome boy, something that came as no surprise to her. Charlotte was a pretty girl and it definitely ran in the family. 

Leah appreciated Charlotte's frank nature. It was something they didn't notice till she opened up to the two but this caused Leach to already form an attachment to the shy girl. It was hard to find anyone who had true values in Slytherin.

Her brother, although her twin, was the complete opposite. He was outgoing, aware of his attractive nature, friendly and seemed to be always talking to someone new, when she came across him. She didn't quite understand their relationship though. Charlotte seemed happy to see her brother but something was holding him back from her.

"Leah, this is my little brother Jayden." Charlotte introduced the two.

"Hey." Her face was indifferent, the smile from Jayden unanswered.

"Look I have to get going, I have Charms in ten minutes. See you in Astronomy." Leah nodded to Jayden as she left the table. 

He frowned as he watched the chocolate eyed girl leave the Great Hall.

"She was quick to get away from here." 

"Don't mind her. She's nice, once you get to know her. I like her a lot, and Hunter too."

"I'm glad Hippogriff, makes me happy knowing you're making friends." His smile was sincere.

"Cheers. How's the mighty Gryffindor house?" Her sarcasm made him roll his eyes.

"Great, I made friends with all the quidditch players and the captain. They're a great group of people. I'm not sure you'll like them though." She shrugged, indifferent. 

"That's brilliant J. I don't have to like your friends though, I've made my own." Her smile was bright, but shy. 

She didn't like being so shy and Jayden knew that. He was proud of her stepping out of her protective shell and fully agreed. She didn't have to like his friends, even though he would've liked them all to get along. 

"I'll see you in Potions?" He nodded and they parted ways, ready for their first day at a new school. 

They had both decided on their schedules before school started with their heads of houses, Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape. The twins didn't share that many classes, but Potions was the one class they were both looking forward to sharing. They had liked Professor Snape, even though he seemed to have a slight prejudice towards Jayden for being in Gryffindor. 

Charlotte found Hunter at the house board, eyeing a list that was tacked on by Elliot, the Slytherin quidditch captain. They smiled at each other in greeting, Hunter's grey eyes stormy with indecision.

"Do you want to tryout?" Charlotte asked, getting in line for the tryout sheet. 

Hunter shrugged.

"I do, but I have no talent for quidditch. I love it but I can't play." 

"I can teach you, if you want?"

"No, cheers though. I have tried every way to learn and develop my skills but a broom is just not my friend." His voice was sad but he had a smile on his face. 

Charlotte gave him a pat on his shoulder, not very good at giving comfort.

"I'm sorry. Is that why you commentate then?"

"Yeah. Merlin, I always forget how busy it gets every year."

The mass of other students from the three other houses pushed the two together as they neared the front. Everyone wanted to tryout for the quidditch teams and it was getting claustrophobic in the front foyer of the castle. It was a big room, but it felt much smaller at that point.

"You any good at Quidditch?" Hunter asked Charlotte, as Charlotte wrote her name down in the Seeker tryouts, when they finally got to the front of the line.

She smirked at him conspiratorially.

"You'll see."