Chapter 26 : The Future

KANE looked down the long corridor of the Hogwarts Express, anxiousness filling his gut. He had a constant ball of energy in his gut, due to the fact that by the end of the school year, he was joining the Falmouth Falcon's summer boot camp.

He had a very productive Christmas holiday. He had spent it with his father, a Quidditch player for the Kenmare Kestrels. His father was never home because of the team being in Ireland and his parents had separated when he was 5 because of it. 

This was the first time he had seen his father in 7 years. It was a bittersweet holiday for the boy, but the holidays had started the beginning of the rest of his life. He couldn't wait to tell his friends all about it.

Kane spotted his redheaded friend through the window and entered the compartment. The compartment wasn't nearly as empty as it seemed from the outside. Charlie was sitting with Freya and Wood, who were both playing wizards chess. 

They looked up and greeted Kane, with a handshake from Wood and an awkward hug from Freya. Charlie still hadn't noticed Kane and he seemed to be in his own world as he looked outside at the passing countryside. It was still snowy and the blur of the countryside was white.

"What's wrong with him?" Kane asked, nodding towards Charlie. 

His voice was quiet, only loud enough for the two close to hear him. Wood shrugged and Freya scrunched up her face. 

"Not sure, he only said hello and hasn't said anything since. We tried everything but he hasn't even heard us when we tried. I don't think." 

Freya was tanned, her blond hair now even blonder than ever. She looked relaxed and happy, something that mildly irked Kane. He wasn't used to her looking so happy, but it made their breakup so much easier for the both of them. They weren't happy together but now apart, they were much more content.

"Oh. Can I try and speak to him alone then?" Kane asked. 

The two nodded. 

"Yeah, we're gonna go see if we can find the food trolley." Freya said.

The two left with a swish of the door and Kane sat opposite his friend, on the warm bench. It was still bitterly cold outside and he enjoyed the warmth.

"Oi, mate." Charlie looked at Kane, his face startled. 

Kane grinned at his friend, noting the bags underneath his eyes.

"When did you get here? Where did the other two go to?"

"About 10 minutes ago, mate. They left to go get some sweets. Did you even notice?" Kane asked, watching his friend.

Charlie's face was haggard and he looked exhausted. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

"Sorry mate, I was in my own world."

"I could tell. What's wrong? Didn't you go home with Charlotte? Did you get that New Year's kiss? Where is she?" Kane winked and Charlie scowled ferociously.

"Let's just say this holiday didn't quite go as well as me getting a New Year's kiss from her." He looked angry but Kane knew his friend well enough to know he was miserable.

"I'm sorry mate, what happened?"

"I told her how I felt, she doesn't reciprocate my feelings and my prat of a brother decided to tell her to leave. She didn't even say goodbye to my family or even thank them, just a halfhearted attempt at it through my brother." Charlie sneered.

Kane gave a low whistle.

"What a witch. Sounds like a brilliant holiday." Charlie started laughing at the sarcasm in Kane's voice, the tension leaving his body. 

"I'm sorry that happened but now you know. I've got some news for you though."

"Oh yeah? What's going on?" Both looked up as the door opened up. 

Freya and Wood smiled at the two, their hands full of chocolate frogs, every flavour beans and a few different pies.

"You okay?" Freya asked Charlie cautiously. 

He shrugged.

"As good as I could be. Kane has some news." He redirected to his friend. 

It worked perfectly, as Freya sat down and looked at him questioningly. By the end of their 6 or so years together, Kane knew what every expression meant.

"I'm not supposed to say anything, not to the press anyway, but I got signed to the Falmouth Falcons as the rookie Chaser. They made me do a tryout for a few days during the holidays, and out of the the 50 that tried me and another guy were chosen. I'll be starting during the summer." His grin was overtaking his face.

"No bloody way, that's brilliant Kane!" Freya whooped, gathering him into a tight but quick hug. 

Wood and Charlie both shook his hands, congratulating him enthusiastically.

"Mate, I'm jealous. I know you've been wanting to do this for so long though. Ever since I've known you. Well done." Oliver smiled. 

Freya nodded along enthusiastically. 

"Yeah Kane, I know this has been you're dream for so long. So proud of you." Freya added.

"Yeah, it's weird to think we'll be done with school for good in a few months." Kane said thoughtfully.

They all sat down, the seventh years sobering up.

"Do you know what you're going to do when you're done Charlie?" Freya asked, grabbing a chocolate frog before it hopped away. 

She didn't collect the cards that came with and none of the boys did either, so she threw it away.

"I've always wanted to work at a dragon sanctuary. I've sent a few letters already and I'm just waiting on a reply." He shrugged, a thoughtful expression on his face.

"Yeah, I want to go into Healing.' Freya admitted, with a nonchalant shrug. 

She had a small smile on her face.

"I think being a healer will suit you." Kane said, smiling at her. 

Her smile warmed up.

"I know. Though, I don't know why you want to work with dragons Charlie. They are so dangerous."

He laughed. 

"I know but they've always been a creature I've been fascinated with." He shrugged.

"Yeah you buggers, you'll be off with your adult lives and I'll be stuck here being the captain of the team." Wood quipped.

"Like you'll be able to lead a team, Woodsy. You're always so nervous on game day, I don't think you'll be able to talk to anyone, let alone have a pep talk. You'll probably stand there  opening your mouth like a fish out of water." Kane said, mimicking a fish mouth with his and the rest of the compartment laughed at Wood, who was pouting with his arms crossed.

"Haud yer wheesht, ye mangy dogs. I'll be a brilliant captain." His grin was smug, although a little unsure.

The rest of the conversation fell into an easy flow as the four friends spoke about their futures, their dreams and their goals. It was happy train ride but there was an undercurrent of uncertainty of the future and a sadness as the end of an era going towards a close.