Chapter 14 : The Accident

Dedicated to Krynaouw, 11.

"CHARLIE, how is your Hippogriff, Sunfly?"

"Brilliant sir, he's started to fly for longer, although he hasn't reached his full height yet."

"Of course he wouldn't, he's only still a baby." 

Charlotte's was rubbing the Hippogriff's neck as the beast nestled into her. It wasn't that big yet, but since she wasn't the tallest, so his head reached around her shoulder.

Sunfly was Charlie's Hippogriff for their group project in Care of Magical Creatures. The beautiful beast had a cruel, steel coloured beak, big brilliant eyes the colour of a sunrise and his coat was a beautiful pink almost white colour. His feathers faded into to the cream colour of his horse coat but his tail and head feathers were pink, almost red. His talons had grown long with the diet of ferrets and small birds and he was Charlie's pride and joy.

"She has a point Charlie." Professor Kettleburn chortled, amused at the look of resentment on Charlie's face.

"I am aware sir, but he has reached the age now where he will start wanting to fly for longer." He said petulantly, reminding the Professor of toddler.

Charlotte rolled her eyes at him, the sun warming the top of her head. It was cold outside, and she found herself snuggling into the hippogriff, as a cold breeze fluttered over the school grounds. It was getting closer and closer to the end of their first term, the weather colder and the sun brighter. The grass was still green, but it was definitely icy and full of frost in the mornings. 

The students were wearing their scarfs, so in the midst of the black robes, there was hints of green, gold, silver, yellow and blue creating a much needed brightness in the drafty castle. In the distance, the Hippogriff herd were getting fed by Hagrid, his shouts flying in the wind.

"Well Sunfly will join the herd soon, since it's almost the end of the term. Your phoenix will be here by then. I apologize for the delay, but it was incredibly hard to find a baby phoenix." Professor Kettleburn told the two and left them to speak to the other two students in their small class. 

The two had opted for Fire Crabs and they were both trying to evade the creatures fire. Charlie glanced mournfully at Sunfly, causing Charlotte to snort in amusement.

"What?" His glare was icy, something she wasn't used to.

"I know you raised him from an egg, but you know he has to join the herd Charlie." She said calmly.

"I am aware of that. Doesn't mean I like it." He muttered, bowing to the Hippogriff, his eyes locked with the beast's impassive gaze. 

The beast bowed back slightly and he came up to it, rubbing its back with his hands, grooming it. Charlotte stared at his deft and capable hands as he picked and groomed Sunfly's feathers. She was curious about how capable his hands were. 

"I'm sorry about the game." Her voice was quiet, almost snatched away with the wind. 

Charlie felt her gaze on the side of his face.

"Nothing to be sorry about. You just won the game and I messed up." His answer was curt, making her wince a little bit.

"I guess, I just don't feel that we won the right way."

He looked at her, his expression steady.

"Perfectly normal for a Slytherin." With this, he turned away and continued grooming the Hippogriff.

Sunfly was looking at her with his big golden eyes, making her feel a little warmer, after the ice that swept through her body following Charlie's cold words. Her guilt from the game flushed away.