Chapter 33 : Studying

CHARLOTTE groaned, as she collapsed onto the chair next to Hunter. He looked at her and laughed at her expression. It was full of despair, absolute despair. He was so relaxed and casual, it vexed Charlotte to no end.

"How am I going to pass these exams?" She moaned and Hunter shook his head at her.

"Just calm down. You're smarter than I am for Merlin's sake. How you got sorted into Slytherin, I still don't know. Ravenclaw would've worked better for you."

"Ha ha, you're hilarious Mr-I-don't-have-homework-because-I-finished-it-in-class. We both know Ravenclaw is too "good" for me."

Hunter gave her a mischievous grin at this.

"Ravenclaw will just hold you back, that's for sure. You know how to study, you know you're going to pass, so stop doubting yourself."

"It's not a good look on you, Charlotte." Leah sneered, joining the two.

The group of friends were sitting in their common room, the hubbub from the rest of the house low and quiet. It was at the end of dinner and many students liked to study in the library so the trio were surprisingly well placed. A couple of first years were chattering away but with a few severe looks from the three, the two dispersed in a fright. It was towards the end of their seventh year and they were a day away from the N.E.W.T.S. Nerves and despair were the only feelings left in their bodies.

"Is your boyfriend also doing these exams? I assume he is our age?" Charlotte asked, looking slyly at Leah. 

Leah spluttered out of surprise, her eyes wide.

"Yes, he is. Our age I mean." She replied recovering from her surprise, throwing Hunter a look.

He had a cocky grin on his face and Leah felt her stomach sink. She had a bad feeling to where this conversation was going to end. It wasn't a good time to start this, especially since they had their biggest exams of their school career starting tomorrow.

"I know you're curious, can we talk about it after exams? I promise I will tell you who it is then. Okay?" Leah asked Charlotte, who nodded thoughtfully.

"Okay, if it's important to you. I'm going to hold you to that promise." She replied and stood up, "I'm going to go see my brother quick, we have this tradition before every exam. I'll see you later." 

She left the two and when she was out of sight, the remaining two turned to each other.

"So after exams. I'm holding you to that." Hunter said, an eyebrow raised. Leah nodded and then the two went back to studying.

Charlotte strolled into the library, searching for her brother. She was by the door of the cozy room, straining her neck to look for him through the crowds of quiet, studying students. Her eyes fell on him, surprise on her face when she realized that he was surrounded by his friends. Charlie, Freya, Kane and Wood were all quietly studying, looks of intense concentration on their faces. Charlie looked up and his eyes met hers, a slow smile spreading across his handsome face. She felt herself going red under his gaze, something about it making her feel flustered.

She swallowed and recovered her dignity. She nodded her head over to her brother, gesturing silently that Charlie should get him for her. Charlie looked at her brother and nudged him. Jayden looked at his friend with a frown and then with a nod from Charlie to her, her brother finally noticed her. He smiled, gathered his things and left his group of friends with a silent goodbye. Charlotte felt two sets of curious eyes on her, those of Charlie's and those of Kane's. She didn't understand the interest of either.

Jayden reached her and the two entered the corridor and walked briskly to the courtyard, silence between the two. They entered the barren courtyard, Jayden using his hands to set down his things in a corner.

The twins then faced each other and came into battle stances. They bowed their heads to each other and the next thing, suddenly both of their hands start twitching. It was silent in the courtyard, as the two threw spell after spell at each other, each time the spells connecting together. These were the spell's they learnt that year, so it was the only time they could both practice. The noises of the colliding spells drew a crowd of curious students, watching in confusion and wonder as the twins battled.

The spells were not aimed at the duelists themselves but at the other spell coming it's way. The spells gave off colorful lights as they collided, lighting up the darkening courtyard. It took years of practice to do what the twins were doing, not that it was unusual at their old school. 

Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape were at the edges of the crowd, watching the two duel in admiration, although they kept their faces neutral. Wandless magic was hard and having two seventeen year olds' battling that way, was an impressive feat. They observed for a few more minutes before both walked through the crowd. The students parted for the professors but continued their watching of  the twins.

"Miss Jet, what is the meaning of this?" Professor Snape snapped, causing Charlotte to lose her concentration.

Jayden's spell sailed towards her but with a flick of her wand, Professor McGonagall stopped it from hitting Charlotte.

"I would like to know exactly the same thing, Mr Jet." McGonagall's voice was severe with disapproval.

Both the twins were panting, exhilarated expressions on their faces. They nodded to each other and faced their house heads. The crowds around the courtyard dispersed with excited whispers, no-one wanting to get detentions from the professors.

"It's a tradition we do before each exam." Jayden explained, Charlotte picking up the explanation after him.

"It's how we studied at Uagadou, and it helps us practice and calm our anxiety and minds before exams." Charlotte panted.

"That is not how we do it in Hogwarts. Here we do it quietly, without disturbing others. Now, please go to your common rooms and study like the rest of the students in Hogwarts. Miss Jet, follow me please." Snape sneered.

Charlotte nodded, gave her brother a quick hug.

"Good luck, see you at the end." She whispered, and left her brother to follow her house head.

"You too, Hippogriff." Jayden grinned, following a beckoning Professor McGonagall.