Chapter 18 : House Elves

"THANK you Bob."

The sleepy house elf bowed to Charlie, rubbing his big, bulgy eyes.

They had interrupted the sleep of the elves, who were comfortably sleeping by the fireplace. Bob, one of the bigger elves, had stood up and helped them get some hot chocolate and biscuits. He did it half sleeping and Charlie had felt supremely guilty for waking him up. 

Bob turned away and left the two to go sleep again. The room was half in darkness and half in light, cozy and warm. Everything was in shadow, hiding the cooking apparatuses in the room. It was quiet right then, but somehow Charlotte knew that this room could be warm and lively during the day. It felt like a home would feel like Charlotte decided to herself, as a slow and creeping contentment went through her body.

She sipped her hot chocolate, eyeing Charlie and the way he interacted with the elf. She wasn't used to such kindness to the beings and didn't display it herself very often. She actually found their willingness to serve annoying. Her house elf, Loony, in her enthusiasm, often got underfoot as Charlotte was doing things. This caused the poor elf to be yelled at many times, made even worse by the loss of JJ.

"Why do you treat them so kindly?"

"I don't treat them kindly. Just the way I would like to be treated if I made someone something to eat or drink, so late at night." His answer was straight, obviously baffled by her question.

"Oh. That makes sense." She replied, flushing underneath his gaze. 

He smiled at her, his eyes crinkling in the corners. It made her throat constrict with an emotion she was unfamiliar with. A thoughtful expression was on his face, as he smiled at her.

"Can I ask you something?"

She nodded at his question, a guarded expression on her face. He leaned forward and she mirrored his actions.

"Why do you always wear this necklace?" He held up the necklace around her neck. It was swinging in the air, having gotten loose from underneath her clothes.

The necklace was gold, with a small flying hippogriff charm on it. It was old, the gold starting to rub off from constant use. The chain was delicate though, but just as old as the little charm. Her throat closed up but she swallowed it down. She didn't want to tell him but a big part of her had already opened up to him that night.

"It's a gift from my little brother, John. I got it from him when I turned 13 and he was 7. My nickname at home is Miss Hippogriff." He looked at her, the pain written on her face.

"I didn't know you had a little brother. Jayden never mentioned John."

"He wouldn't. He died in January." Her voice was clipped.

He sucked in his breath, and without thinking, stood up from the stool he was occupying. He pulled her into a hug, her body stiff at first but relaxing into his. Her head was against his stomach, as she was still sitting down while he was standing. Her hands had encircled his waist, and held onto him tightly. He held her for a minute but then let go, sitting back down again.

"I'm sorry Miss Hippogriff." His answer made her smile sadly.

"Why doesn't your brother talk about him?"

"Because.. He blames me, just like everyone in my family.." The torment in her voice made him want to hug her again.

"Why? You don't have to tell me.. If you don't want to, I know we haven't been friends and on good terms lately. Your brother hasn't even told me so maybe I shouldn't ask you." Her watery chuckle made him flush, snapping his mouth closed.

"I was there when he died, I tried to save him but the lightning effected my magic temporarily. Everyone blames me, even my older brother was a witness against me at my trial."

"So that's why you looked so uncomfortable with Jackson today."

His statement was full of anger. She nodded, looking at her hands.

"He said I couldn't have saved him and shouldn't even have tried. I brought on a lot of shame on our family and they all blame me for his death. I always had the most talent in our family, when it came to magic and for some reason I decided I had to save him, even though it's impossible. Magic doesn't bring back the dead. I could've saved him, I really could have. But I couldn't though.. I couldn't. I was too late.."

The inner torment finally made her break into silent sobs, her body heaving.

Charlie rushed to her side and she clung onto him, unleashing her huge amount of emotions into his stomach. He picked her up, her legs wrapping around his waist, face nuzzled into his neck and was surprised at how heavy she actually was. Not that he was complaining, she was a pleasant weight and heat against his stocky body.

He carried her to a couch that was close to the fire but not too close to the sleeping elves and held her, as she cried her guilt and torment away. He grabbed a red blanket lying on the couch next to them, and covered the two. The pain that was radiating off her made it hard for him not to throttle all of her family, right then and there, for causing this beautiful girl so much pain. She nuzzled into him, her face buried into his chest. He encased her in his arms, stroking her espresso coloured hair.

"Shh, I'm here love, I'm here."

His continued assurances floated away like the ashes from the dying fire, as the night wore on and they both fell asleep, exhausted.