Chapter 21 : The Burrow

"ARE you sure this is okay? I don't want to intrude on your family time."

"Charlotte, relax. My mum is excited for anyone to bring home friends so don't worry about it, okay?" Charlie laughed.

She nodded silently, her nerves clearly showing on her face. He stuck his tongue out at her with his eyes crossed, making her laugh, her nerves disappearing from her face. He grinned and she smiled at him softly, her eyes sparkling. This made his stomach jump around with his own brand of nerves, the tips of his ears red.

They were sitting opposite each other alone in a compartment, on the Hogwarts Express. It was the end of the term and there was a festivity present on the train that was contagious. It was about 5 minutes into the journey and their friends still haven't pitched up. The two were enjoying their time together, even if it was full of silence and unspoken reservations from both of their sides.

"Well, hello there!" The voice of Kane gave the two completely different reactions. 

Charlotte winced, and looked out through the window, rolling her eyes and Charlie smiled a big grin at his friend.

"Kane, I didn't know you were going home." Charlie said. 

Kane had slowly but surely stopped hanging out with their group of friends, and the boys had no time to speak privately during their quidditch practices and games.

"Yeah, my ma's asked me to go home. First time in 7 years." He grinned, earning a hidden glance of pity from Charlie.

Charlotte didn't say anything but her interest was piqued. She saw the glance and had noticed that Kane had not been very active in his friend group. Kane sat down on the same bench as hers but he ignored her as the two boys continued speaking.

"My da is home for Christmas, first time in seven years so it was a special request from her. Usually I would be with the Huddle's but ya know, not this year." The blonde boy said this all flippantly, but Charlotte could see the sympathy in Charlie's eyes.

"Well I can see you're excited, I know I would be after seven Christmas's. I actually don't think the Huddles are together this year though." Charlie replied.

"Oh yeah? Why is that?" Kane tried to hide his intense curiosity.

"Apparently too many of her siblings are away, including Freya." He shrugged

"Do you know where Freya is going?" Kane asked, a current of pain in his voice.

"I think she said something about Kenya? I don't know. She didn't speak much about it." Charlie shrugged, and Charlotte frowned at his words.

"Oh I didn't think she would ever want to go there." Kane replied, an indescribable look on his face. 

Charlie nodded and their conversation went on to other topics with a very curious but nervous Charlotte.

--

Charlie looked at Charlotte, nervous for her to finally see his home. It wasn't much compared to what he was sure she was used to. It was a ramshackle building, the upper floors looking like they were stacked on top of each other like an afterthought. They looked out of place and it made it seem like it would topple the house over but by the magic of his mother and father charms, it was still standing. The house was situated in the middle of a big field, with a stream close by. The garden was usually a little unkempt but it was hidden by the snow.  He could see the pesky gnomes running around in and out from their dens

Her eyes were scrutinizing the house as the big group walked towards it. Mrs. Weasley was smiling at her, a gleeful expression on the older woman's face. The two women had gotten along really well before they apparated from the train station. Charlie was afraid his mother would dislike her but like always, she immediately enveloped the girl into a big, warm hug. 

They both fell into an easy conversation and Charlie felt a little put out on how easy it was for her mother to bring out the best of Charlotte. It had taken him a long time for her to be so open with him and he couldn't help but be a little jealous.

"I know it's not much but it's home." Charlie said, rubbing the back of his neck. 

The two had stopped outside the house while the rest of the group trouped in.

"I love it. Thank you Charlie." She turned to him, her eyes earnest, "I am so grateful you invited me here. I didn't want to see my parents but I was disappointed that we weren't going to be together for the first time ever. I know this is coming out jumbled and all over the place, and doesn't make much sense but I just am so happy to be here." Her words were sincere and rushed, as if she didn't want to think about what she was saying and just say it.

He grabbed her and hugged her tight, a warmth radiating from deep within in him. A breath escaped from her body as her chest met his. She was stiff at first but she relaxed into him, her head nestling into his chest. They stood there for a while, both not feeling the snow and cold.

"Oi! Lovebirds, it's cold out and mum's gonna skin your hides if you don't come in soon." The two flushed at Fred's words.

"Yeah yeah, we're coming. Is dinner ready?" Charlie asked, grabbing her hand without thinking. 

She looked at their hands, with a big smile, as they walked towards the door.

"Yeah, come in you git. I'm going to freeze my socks off." Fred visibly shivered, and the two entered the warm and inviting house. 

Then a smirk grew on Fred's face and he lifted his trousers to show his ankles. There was no evidence of socks.

"You took too long." He grinned and Charlie chuckled.

"That was weak. Out of all the jokes to go with, you choose this one."

Fred grinned at Charlies words.

"How long have you been without socks?"

"Since school I've been waiting all day for this." His grin was big and Charlotte and Charlie chuckled at the younger boy.

Before they went into the house after Fred, Charlotte stopped him with her hand on his arm.

"Thank you again Charlie." Her smile was affectionate.

"I'm just glad you get along with my mum." He grinned and she smirked at him.

"I really didn't quite understand where your family got the red hair from, but now I know." He chuckled and gave her arm a squeeze.

"Oh shut it you minx."

Her tinkling laugh made him grin stupidly, as they escaped the cold outside.