Chapter 16 : Jackson

The Three Broomsticks was brimming with students, mostly older students who wanted to escape the monotony of studying and the coldness of Hogwarts encased in snow. Charlotte glanced around the pub, shivering as she unwrapped herself from the warmth of her winter clothes. There was a big, merry fire in the fireplace and a cheery chatter around her. She still felt uneasy, as her eyes spied Kane and Freya.

"Is that him?" Leah asked, venom in her voice. 

She was looking at Jayden and a man that were in a cheerful conversation. Charlotte followed her gaze and grimaced.

She nodded silently, eyeing her brothers. Pain engulfed her, and she turned to go, panic on her face. She didn't want to face his hatred again.

"Char!" The happy voice made her flinch. 

Her friends nodded in encouragement to her and she swallowed. They gave her pats on her shoulders and she squared herself for the confrontation that was going to happen. She turned back and eyed her older brother, a mask of cold indifference locking onto her shy face.

"Jackson."

His smile was electric and his brown, golden eyes warm. He was taller than the twins and leaner than the stocky two. Charlotte and Jackson were much more similar looking, which was rather surprising for their friends. They both shared the warm espresso coloured hair and their eyes had the same striking gold flecks. He pulled his little sister in a hug, her body stiff. He let go, his smile soft as he greeted her.

"Let me buy you a butterbeer." He grinned and Charlotte followed behind him stiffly.

Leah glanced at Jayden, his face uneasy but delighted. He then locked eyes with her. Leah felt herself get warm under his interested gaze and struggled to control the expression on her face. He then turned to follow the conversation between his siblings, but threw her a small smirk beforehand. She sighed internally, getting warmer as the heat of the fire enveloped her. 

At least that's what she told herself.

"He doesn't seem to be so bad. I had this big idea of him looking incredibly evil in my head, like a manticore. He's actually not like that at all." Hunter mused and that made Leah laugh.

"A manticore? You seriously have the most over active imagination I've ever come across." She laughed at him. 

His smirk was wide.

"Yeah, a manticore. Doesn't fit anymore though. He's quite fit though."

"Yes he is. If you like the whole lanky, emancipated look. He seems a bit loving for someone who did something like that to her though, the git."

The two sat down at an empty booth, towards the back of the pub, as the front door blasted open with the wind and new customers.

"This wind is mental!" Charlie groaned, trying to close the door behind him.

"I sometimes forget you're a wizard Charlie." Freya grinned as she flicked her wand to help him out. 

The door finally closed and the room went back to the merry warmth.

The couple were sitting close to the front of the pub, sitting opposite each other. The table held many butterbeer mugs, mostly around Freya. There was an obvious tension between the two, but their friends tactfully ignored it.

"Cheers Freya." Charlie said, sliding into the booth next to her. 

Oliver joined Kane.

"So that's Jackson?" Freya asked, her blue eyes bright. 

Kane glanced at her and his nostrils flared, silent. He brooded as she appraised the tall man.

"Looks like it." Charlie said, watching the three siblings interact.