Chapter 35 : A proposition

THE morning of her last exam, Freya found herself surrounded by her friends. They were sitting in the Gryffindor common room, sprawled out on the couches. It was the last day for their exams, thank Merlin. 

Luckily, most of the exams that were left were in the afternoon as the Astronomy exam was the previous evening. The rest of the school were either in classes or their own exams, so the seventh years were on their own in the common room. A warm breeze was filtering through the open windows, the up and coming summer beckoning the students with open arms.

Kane was telling Jayden about the Falmouth Falcons, Charlie was reading a letter from the Dragon Sanctuary in Romania and she was staring at a letter from Jackson about their up and coming year together.

"Ready for your last exams, lads?" Freya asked, her friends quietening down around her.

The three boys faced her, nerves and excitement playing across their faces.

"Yeah, Herbology should be a breeze. Then it's the rest of my life in front of me." Jayden answered casually.

"Yeah, I agree. Should be good. Professor Sprout was really good this year." Kane agreed.

"And you, Charlie?" Freya asked her old friend.

"Care of Magical Creatures should be fine. I already have half my mark, it's just the practical today. You, Freya?" Charlie asked, his legs stretched out in front of him.

"Divination is going to be easy. Professor Trelawney isn't the best but I did a ton of studying on my own. We didn't even finish the textbook this year." Freya rolled her eyes, a condescending smirk on her face.

"She was always a little mental." Kane said. 

Freya nodded, laughing a little.

"A little? More like a lot. Do you remember in fourth year when she predicted that you were going to fall off your broom, to your death Charlie? After reading your tea leaves." Freya reminisced, laughing.

They all burst out laughing.

"Yeah, not only did I not fall that year, I haven't fallen off my broom once since then. I'm pretty sure she avoids me, every time she sees me in the corridor." Charlie laughed.

"Oh dear, oh dear! You will die today, such a horrible, horrible death my child. See this club, my dear, this shows you will be attacked and this falcon shows that you will be flying. Be careful during your match on the sixteenth of October, dear. My Inner Eye sees it all!" Kane mocked the Professor, his voice high and false. 

His arms were flying around as he imitated her, causing his friends to duck with laughter.

"Merlin, remember Melissa wouldn't leave you alone till the day after the match?" Kane added.

"Oh yeah, I still don't understand why she hasn't spoken to me since then. I didn't realize she was trying to save me, she just followed me around and annoyed me." Charlie shrugged.

"Charlie, you told her rather rudely to go away when she wouldn't stop fawning over you. I'm pretty sure she hasn't forgiven you since then." Freya laughed. 

He frowned at this.

"I just told her that the Professor was wrong. I thought she wanted to be friends but obviously I was wrong." He shrugged again, an innocent look on his face.

Jayden heard the clock strike twelve and stood up, stretching out.

"Alright lady and gents, our last exam is in thirty minutes. Good luck. See you after for the celebration, yeah?"