Chapter 37 : Right

IT was warm outside.

That was the first thing that went through Charlotte's mind as she briskly walked towards the oak tree close to the Black Lake. It was dark out, the light spilling from the castle fading as she got closer to the lake. Nerves were rampaging through her body as she thought of the coming evening with him. She had never even been kissed and she was the one that asked for this. She was going to be eighteen in the summer and she still felt so naïve and young when it came to romantic actions and consequences.

"Lumos." She whispered as she was thrown into darkness. 

Her angular face was thrown into relief, showing her anxiety clearly. She heard the wind whistle through the leaves of a tree and grinned to herself, excitement now thrumming through her body. She had finally arrived but didn't see her favorite redhead. She knew he was there before her, so he should've been there already. She heard a splash on the lake, most likely the Giant Squid.

"Charlotte." His voice was husky.

Her eyes shut quickly as a smile spread on her face, relief flooding her body. She whirled around and he stood under the tree, among the hidden roots. He climbed down and stopped a few steps away from her.

"You came." She breathed out, stepping up to the handsome boy. 

She looked up at him and sighed quietly. His eyes were as stormy as the ocean, her wand lighting the two of them in the darkness.

"Why wouldn't I?" He answered with a soft smile.

She couldn't stop smiling as their eyes created an inferno between the two. Her hands lifted and touched his chest, a spark travelling down her arm and then her body. His hands captured hers, putting her right hand his heart and she could feel his heart beating as fast as hummingbirds' wings. She swallowed and lifted her head towards his, her lips slightly parted.

The longing in both of them came to a crescendo, as they stared at each other. The distance decreased between the two. The heat between the two was smoldering, the initial attraction from their first few lessons coming to ahead. She swallowed and her throat caught his attention, a need to kiss her there on her heartbeat, growing. Time slowed down as the two closed their eyes and their lips were a hair breath away.

SPLASH!

The two jumped away from each other, the splash from the Lake breaking the atmosphere between them. Charlotte groaned, not realizing it was out loud. Charlie chuckled at this, and grabbed her hand.

"Let's sit, yeah? And I think we should put out that wand of yours." He grinned, gesturing to the wand she had dropped.

"Oh, I didn't even realize that I dropped it." She laughed and bent down to pick it up. 

They were still holding hands, their heat warming them up.

"Nox."

The mutter from her threw them into darkness. It took Charlie a couple of minutes to get used to the darkness before he could somewhat see where they were. Luckily, the moon was bright, so they had somewhat of a light. They sat down and without any hesitation, Charlie brought her closer to him. Charlotte rested her head on his shoulder, relaxing into his body. They looked towards the Lake as the Squid splashed around, his tentacles slightly luminous in the moon light.

"You know, when we met I didn't think we would ever be here." Charlie suddenly said, a chuckle emitting from him.

"I know. I first called you the wall when you made me fall." Charlotte said.

"I made you fall? You ran into me!" He said, outrage and amusement in his voice.

"No, I clearly remember you being in my way while I jogged to my parents." She shrugged, a small smile playing on her face.

He turned his body to her, his eyebrows raised. She had big grin on her face and her eyes were dancing with amusement in the moon light. He was stunned to silence, as he stared at her. He had always loved it when she smiled but this, this was different. She was smiling from within, a glow to her that took her from merely pretty to stunning. He swallowed, as her grin slipped away under his intense scrutiny.

"What? Do I have something in my teeth?" She touched her mouth and he shook his head.

Her hand dropped down as her eyes became full of desire. A warmth spread through her body as his eyes fell on her lips. She licked her lips and his eyes flamed. A feeling of control swept through her body at the action, some understanding flashing through her mind. She was a novice at this sort of thing but she couldn't help but feel empowered by the control she had over him then.

Charlie groaned inwardly as she bit her lip, a smug look on her face. He leaned forward, the tension growing between the two. She swallowed, staring into his eyes. The silence stretched, the tension between them becoming taut like the strings of people's lives, that the three Fates controlled. He cupped her face, bringing his forehead against hers.

He closed his eyes, a sigh escaping.

His breath fanned over her face, making her heart somersault. She stared up at him, his touch so foreign but so familiar to her.

He smiled softly, his eyes still closed. She wanted to know what was going on in his head as the tension slowly became unbearable. His eyes flew open and then, faster than she could have imagined, their string of tension cut as his lips met hers. She sighed into the kiss, her heart racing as his impossibly soft lips made her feel like she was on fire.

After a few minutes of heat and throbbing, the two parted with gasping breaths. Charlotte's eyes were wide in wonder, while Charlie couldn't control the desire in his. They rested their foreheads together, both trying to control their breathing and beating hearts. She sighed, finally feeling a happiness that she hadn't felt in a long time.

Not since JJ died in front of her.

"This has been one of the best and worst years of my life." She said, pulling away from him and leaning against the tree behind her. 

She didn't want to change the feeling around them but she needed to tell him this. Needed to get this off her shoulders and take the weight of the world off them too.

"Why?" Charlie asked, as he leaned back onto his hands, and watched her.

"Well," she swallowed past the lump of pain in her throat, "JJ died and I lost my family because of it. But, I've changed. I'm not the little girl who just took their bloody crap to please them. I'm not. Not anymore. I know what I want to do and I want to help others have a better life. I want something for me. For my future."

He smiled at her, a tender look on his face. She gave him a shy but coy smile.

"And I met you. You inspired this in me. Your kindness, your self-assured attitude, your calm and your fire. It was you."

He shook his head hard.

"No, you did that on your own. It was all you."

She came to him, making him fall on his back as she put her body on top of his and she gave him a hard kiss. His hands were on her waist, leaving her back and stomach full of fire. Their kisses became heated as she became more comfortable and he started running his hands down her back. She broke the kiss, her breathing harsh. Her Hippogriff necklace glinted in the moonlight and the smell of gardenia's enveloped the two.

"Thank you Charlie. You changed my life."

Her words were quiet but full of tender love. She rested her head on his chest, their legs tangled together. He brought his head up and kissed her hair.

"No, you changed mine."

His whispered words seared into her soul.

They spent the night kissing, talking and laughing. The contentment was something that both of them would never forget and experience with anyone else again.