Chapter 22 : Chaotic Thoughts

IT was a small house but homey and comfortable. It was filled with knickknacks and it was a little chaotic but it seemed to make sense and add to the feeling of being home. The house was decorated in a very festive manner, with wreaths floating around the roof, the Christmas tree winking merrily in the dim lighting. There was mistletoe popping randomly at places, even though she didn't quite understand why since there was only the one couple living at the house.

Her smile grew as she took in the atmosphere of the house and the warmth of the family. Charlotte sat down at the dining table in the kitchen, watching as the twins bantered with their mother.

She was trying to finish up the food and the two were trying to eat the food she had already made. She would just finish it and then smack wandering hands as they ventured over to the newly made food. Percy, was sitting a few seats away from her, his face immersed in a book and Charlie was sitting with his older brother, Bill, in the living room.

It was evident that the two were close and her heart twisted as she watched Charlie laugh with his brother. His eyes were sparkling under the dim lighting and she didn't know what to do with herself, as she tried to look away from the two. It was getting harder and harder for her to control her emotions around him and about him.

"Arthur, can you call Ron and Ginny for dinner for me dear?" Mrs. Weasley's voice cut through the hubbub of the two adjoining rooms.

Mr. Weasley was reading the Daily Prophet on an armchair in the living room. He nodded, folded the paper, and flicked his wand, muttering a few words under his breath. A weasel patronus flew up the stairs, bright and blue as it disappeared.

"Thank you darling. Time for dinner." Mrs. Weasley said, her voice cutting through the excitement in the house.

The Weasley family erupted into chatter as everyone sat down, two chairs vacant. Charlie was next to Charlotte with Bill on the other side of her. He had eyed her silently, a pensive look on his face when the two were introduced at the train station. She had felt a little like he was looking into her soul and there was something about it that made her extremely uncomfortable. This didn't stop her from liking him though, she was just cautious around him.

She looked at the living room when she heard two different sets of footsteps run into the lower floor, laughing and chattering. The little girl went red when she saw Charlotte, going shy and not meeting her eyes. The older boy, Ron, nodded in greeting to her and the two sat down.

The meal so far had been full of chatter as the twins teased Ron about his eating habits. He was stuffing his face and Ginny who sat next to Ron, was looking at him with full on disgust. Bill and Percy were chatting together, while Charlie was laughing with his jokester brothers. Their parents were taking and watching their family with content smiles on their faces. Charlotte could feel Mrs. Weasley's eyes on her, halfway through the delicious and lively roast dinner.

She looked up and smiled at the older woman.

"So tell me dear, Charlie hasn't said much about you. I think Arthur mentioned the Jet family joining the Beast Division and Being Division in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures."

"Yes, my parents worked and studied in Kenya for most of my childhood. We only moved here in August."

"So you were in Hogwarts while they were there? That's an awfully long way away from Kenya. Where in Kenya may I ask?"

"Oh no, I transferred from Uagadou. It's a small little town about two hours away from Nairobi."

"That's so interesting! I assume you are in Gryffindor too." Mrs. Weasley smiled proudly and a titter of laughter went around the group of Hogwarts students.

"No mum, she's a snake." George said, wiggling his body around like a worm, hissing a little. 

He was met with laughter from the rest of the kids.

Charlotte went red as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley eyed her and then Charlie. Mrs. Weasley nodded and didn't say anything after that, allowing the conversation of the table to flow around them. Mr. Weasley was listening to his children and laughing as they mucked around. Mrs. Weasley was humming and tittering in disapproval as the twins messed with their younger sister.

"Are you okay?" Bill asked Charlotte, his eyes kind. 

She nodded and he smiled at her before returning to speak to Percy.

A large, warm hand gripped her thigh and she smiled gratefully at Charlie, as his calming presence soothed her anxiousness. He didn't look at her but she could see the warm smile on his face. The warmth from her leg spread through her, making her sleepy and comfortable. By the end of the dinner, everyone was fully stuffed and tired. The low hum of chatter made Charlotte's eyes droop and her head rest on Charlie's shoulder.

"Ginny dear, let's take Charlotte upstairs. I am sure she is exhausted." Ginny nodded, her absent stare in the distance betraying her exhaustion.

Charlotte looked up with a sheepish grin on her face, her eyes heavy with exhaustion.

"Thank you. Night everyone." Charlotte said, her voice low.

The boys all said goodnight but her eyes were only on Charlie, who was giving her a very tender smile, mouthing goodnight. The three girls left the boys at the table.

The boys cleared their settings and dispersed around and outside the house. The twins went to their room, the smell of gunpowder drifting behind them. Percy went to his room, a book in his hand with Ron trailing behind with a big bread bun in his mouth. Bill and Charlie shook their heads at their youngest brother, but chose to go outside to get away from the prying ears of their father and family. They nodded in greeting to their father who had gone back to reading the newspaper.

"She's good one Charlie. Really sweet and took our mother well." Bill grinned, the two sitting on the stairs outside.

"Yeah, she is. I did not expect mum to go so mental. She took it well though." Charlie said. 

Bill nodded but a knowing smirk grew on his face.

"First girl you've brought home alone. Even if you're just friends."

Charlie rolled his eyes but his ears went red under his brothers gaze.

Bill laughed and punched him in the arm, earning a groan from both of them. One for a sore hand and the other for a sore arm. The two continued speaking for a while before Bill decided to call it a day. By then, it was close to midnight and everyone except the two had gone to bed.

"Night Charlie." Bill called, before entering the house.

Charlie stood up after a few minutes, the cold finally hitting him. He stretched his legs out and entered the house, locking the door behind him. He turned and was startled when he saw his mother looking at him with a cocked brow, from the living room arm chair.

"Charlie, can I talk to you?"

"About what mum?"

"What do you think sweetheart?"