Chapter 12 : Past Anger

"YOU'RE not being very fair towards Jackson, C."

Jayden's self-righteousness made Charlotte's temper flare.

"Oh, so sorry to hurt his feelings. I know he can hear all the mean thing's I've ever said about him... Oh wait he can't! He's doesn't even give a goblin's arse about me. For Merlin's sake, he hates me!" Her shout attracted a few students' attention, as the twins argued.

They both shut their mouths with audible snaps, as the two girls walked past staring at the two transfers. The twins glared at the younger girls and they left the two very quickly, scared of the ice in the glares.

"He doesn't hate you." The answer was harsh in the silence.

"Yes, he does. He wouldn't have acted the way he did, if he didn't." Her lips pressed tightly together.

"He had every right to act the way he did."

Her shocked and hurt face made him flush with shame. He had never really said it out loud before. He didn't feel the same anymore but it was an emotionally devastating time and people become irrational in times like those. Now, he felt much more in tune with his emotions and the facts of the accident, and he had been ashamed ever since. 

"I didn't realize you agreed with him, Jayden." Her voice was now quiet.

"I don't, not anymore." He admitted, rubbing the back of his neck in shame.

"That makes me feel better." Her answer made him flinch.

"We were all devastated." He argued back.

"You weren't there. You don't know how it felt and never will." Her voice was now emotionless.

He stared at his twin, anger on his face. He crossed his arms and glared at her. She copied his body language, closing herself off towards her twin. He grabbed his broom, which had fallen while they argued.

"Just do me a favour and see him." He begged her.

"Why would I want to do anything for you?" Her voice was full of fury.

"Because, I admit that I was wrong and I'm sorry I felt that way, Hippogriff. Jackson wants to atone for everything that happened." He was begging now, knowing his older brother felt horrible for his actions then.

"I don't believe you, not anymore." He flinched at her cold voice.

They heard footsteps and waited as two Slytherins walked past. They greeted Charlotte, who nodded hello back and gave Jayden a glare. He may be related to her but he was still a Gryffindor and did not warrant the same respect as her. Their footsteps faded and the twins faced each other again. Charlotte had found herself becoming more and more angry at him.

"Please Hippogriff."

"Don't call me that, you don't have the right anymore." Her finger pointed at him like he was dirt under her shoes.

He walked up to his twin and grabbed her flailing hands. She tried to pull away but he held fast.

"Please, I know I wasn't there but I miss him too. I won't ever know how you felt and I'm sorry that I agreed with Jackson. We all miss him, even our parents." His voice was now quiet, his chocolate eyes begging her forgiveness.

A small sob escaped from Charlotte, making her try to pull away from him with vigor. He tried to pull his twin into a hug but she refused. She stood there hunched, his arms awkwardly around her shoulders. He was still holding his broom, so it pressed against her back.

Her face was facing the floor, hiding her pain away. Jayden wasn't very good at hiding his emotions and he had a pain filled expression on his face. A wind blew into the open corridor, lifting their robes round their ankles. After a minute, she pushed him away and stood up straight. She wiped her tears away and pulled herself together.

"You know what, Jayden."

His name was like a stone in her mouth, heavy and cold.

"I won't be seeing our older brother in Hogsmeade, even if you could do the impossible and get our brother to apologize to me, for all the hurt he caused me."

He flinched, anger spreading through his body. He knew exactly what she meant and thought she was being a royal, cold, selfish witch towards Jackson. She wasn't the only one who lost someone.

She walked away to her common room in the dungeon, her body rigid and cold.

Charlie ambled down to the Quidditch pitches, ready for the first practice of the year. He heard a shout but thought nothing of it, until he turned around a corner of the corridor that connected the inside of the castle to the outside courtyard. Towards the end of the corridor stood the Jet twins, furiously whispering at each other.

The portraits on the walls next to him were all eyeing the two, their whispers curious. When they saw the red head staring at them with a hard gaze, they stopped talking and either left their frames or continued to do their normal activities. He glanced at the twins and was surprised to see a furious Jayden, his hands in tight, white fists as he stared at his sister walking fast towards the dungeons.

A warm breeze made Charlie's hair ruffle, as he walked towards his friend. He put a hand on his friends shoulder, causing him to jump.

"You okay mate?" Charlie's voice was concerned.

"Yes. All is perfect. Just perfect." The p sound was emphasized and Jayden glanced at his friend, his face showing that his mind was going at a hundred miles a minute.

"Want to go the pitch together?"

"No, that's alright mate, I left my things upstairs. I'm going to go get it."

Charlie glanced at his friends clothes and didn't say anything. His friend was wearing his Quidditch uniform and was carrying his broom. Obviously he needed time to be alone, so he nodded.

"Don't be late."

His warning fell on deaf ears.