Chapter 19 : Twins

CHARLOTTE found herself waking up reluctantly, by small little hands shaking her. A small part of her thought it was JJ, but she knew better.

At first it was soft but it was getting incessant and harder, as she refused to open her eyes.

"Miss, miss! You have to wake up now."

Charlotte's eyes flew open, unsure as to why Loony was waking her up. She bit back a scream, when she saw that there were 5 house elves looking at her with their big, bulgy eyes. She quickly sat up from the couch, pushing the blanket off of her.

"Miss, we don't mind you being in our kitchen but it is a Sunday morning and we have to make breakfast. We hope you don't mind." Bob, the bigger elf, said apologetically, bowing slightly.

"No it's okay. Thank you for waking me up." She stood up and looked around, her body sore and stiff as she stretched. 

She looked around the room and knew her suspicions of last night was confirmed.  It was warm and cozy, the fire blazing in the hearth. There were about 5 to 8 ovens around the room, the pans and pots flying around. Spices were on a big bookcase, twice the size of her and probably about 10 time the size as the elves. The house elves were running around and singing as they made breakfast for the school. She was off to the side, so she watched as they used their magic to cook and bake.

"Where is Charlie?" She asked, noticing she was the only human in the room. 

"Oh, sir Charlie left a while ago." She nodded thanks to Bob and left the room after saying goodbye to the elves.

Charlotte walked down the corridor, the dungeons just a floor down. It was freezing, the cold seeping into her and making her shiver. She wrapped her arms around her waist, hoping to warm up as she walked. 

She wished it was Charlie holding her and keeping her warm. She didn't understand how easy it was or her to think these sort of things, when she disliked the boy not even a week ago. Maybe she just didn't give him enough time of day and missed out on a friendship. It was interesting to her how a first impression affected someones view of another.

She felt shame grow in her belly, as she thought of her emotional breakdown in front of Charlie last night. She didn't like being so vulnerable in front of anyone and doing it in front of her friends and now Charlie, left a bitter taste in her mouth. 

Now they all pitied her.

She went down the stairs, but stopped as she heard whispering at the bottom of the stairs. There was a nook between the wall and the stairs, hidden from the view of the people on the stairs and the Slytherin common room door. She frowned as she picked out some of the whispered conversation. The one voice was deep, brooding and a little bit familiar and the other voice was husky but obviously female.

"You know I do."

"But why? Why me?"

"Because I don't see anyone else but you."

Charlotte strained her ears as the two was drowned out by the chatter from the corridor upstairs, where the Hufflepuff common room was. She cursed them silently, her natural curiosity piqued by the conversation. The noise died down and she listened again.

"You don't understand, we can't."

"Why? Are you scared of her?"

"No, you know why. It's your idea and you shouldn't forget that."

The groan that followed was full of frustration, anger and sadness.

"Fine, I'll see you in class."