Chapter Thirty-eight

"You can't run forever little princess," a male voice rasped out after me with strained breath as I too gasped for oxygen. He was right despite my desperate attempts to ignore the slap of their feet against the forest floor; I couldn't run forever.

My lungs ached painfully as I knew my body would give up at any given moment. The burning of my legs made me feel as if I was running through hot molten rock as each step caused pain to erupt. My side felt like it was being tore open by savage wolves causing my vision to blur in response, I quickly wiped the tears away with my trembling hand; careful not to stab myself in the eye as I ran.

They had ceased shooting at me now, after a near miss of a bullet that flew millimetres from my head. My legs had faltered beneath me as the wind from the bullet brushed my cheek, allowing me to witness how close I was to death.

Despite their shooting I continued to push myself, surprised that I could run this ran at such a pace. My body hated me for every stride I took, the forest floor digging into my old cuts and now fresh ones as my feet tore apart. I was more than likely leaving a trail of blood like an injured deer, leaving a trail.

It feared me to think of why they had halted their shooting after nearly blowing my brains out, they wanted me alive. It was their tactic to make me stop, I would rather be shot than go back to Peter. The thought of having my knee caps blow out by a shotgun was more appealing than ever having to look at the man's face ever again.

It was a shame Peter had a few medics in his group of paid scumbags, men that would do anything for the man who paid them. Even if that meant defending a psychotic rapist and murderer, in this day where people didn't care about principles and morals as long as they got a pay cheque at the end of the week.

I should of killed him.

"You are in so much trouble little kitty," the same man taunted as I risked a glance behind me. He was persistent, hot on my tail as the other four started to fall back from the exhaustion. The high sun beating down through the overgrowth was enough to make you collapse never mind sprinting.

He smiled evilly, showing me his stained teeth as I pulled my attention to where I was running in fear of falling over my own clumsy feet.

"I might even take you first before I hand you back," my stomach churned with unease as my body gained a boost of adrenaline, giving me the much needed motivation to continue running. Running from yet another rapist.