24.) Loss

I don't know how long I stayed like that, holding her body close to me. For some reason I felt a connection to her. It hurt when she died. But it hurt more to know that no one would grieve over her.

I couldn't remember the last time I had cried. I must have been when I first ran away. I had not cried in over 3 years. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. But they wouldn't leave me.

I slowly picked her up in my arms and stood on my feet. Holding her in bridal style, I started to walk. I stumbled but I kept on to my hold on her. I walked slowly. Allowing the tears to run down my face. No one deserved to die like that, at the hands of hunters.

My wolf Angelina stayed silent. I could tell she was sad. So was I. Her green eyes that held so much pain, a type of pain that we too were far too familiar with.  Not so much the physical pain than the emotional pain.

It broke my already damaged heart, that she had to die, knowing that she was in so much emotional pain. I was going to hurt the bastard that had taken it upon himself to get rid of such a beauty.  I was going to rip him limb from limb.

I looked down at the young girl in my arms. It looked like she was sleeping. I felt a few more tears run down my cheeks. I kept walking. I knew where I was. I knew where I was going but somehow, I just couldn't bear the thought that she would have to leave my arms. I knew that she was safe. I could protect her. But only if she was in my arms.

I reached the edge of the woods. I saw the pack house. Right in front of me, so close to me. I stopped. I couldn't walk to the door. Much less go through it. I suddenly felt drained. She felt so heavy in my arms now. My heart also felt heavy, for I could not save the girl in my arms life.

I fell to my knees for the second time today. Why couldn't I have saved her? Why? She looked so at peace at this moment, with the sun setting down on her face. She still wore that small smile on her lips. I just sat there, looking, watching her. Hoping beyond all hope that she was just sleeping. That she would soon open her eyes again.

I heard the back door open and a male voice call out “ Chloe?” I didn't look up, I just sat and watched the body that lay dead in my arms. I could tell there was more than one person coming towards me.No doubt that they smelled the blood. I still didn't move. I didn't want to miss a sign that she could still be alive.

“ Chloe? Is that you?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chase’s P.O.V.

I sat at the kitchen table talking with Mike, Matt and Alex. I didn't want to like the guy but honestly he was pretty cool. Plus Chloe had told me to be nice to him. If she could forgive him than I would just have to put up an effort.

The guys started laughing about something. Mike was leaning on Matt, close to tears. Zoey walked into the room, as the boys chuckled. “ Hey Zoo” Matt said with a big grin.