Unbroken > Niklas Stark

Stefanie paced around the halls anxiously as she waited for Niklas' parents to exit the room. The moment Niklas had come tumbling down, screaming in agony that morning kept replaying itself in her head. His leg.

She buried her face in her hands as she tried to rid herself of the bad thoughts. His leg will be fine, she told herself. She glanced at the door to his room. He'll be okay.

After nearly an hour inside, his parents finally emerged from his room. When Stefanie saw the look on his mother's face, she knew that something was gravely wrong. Stefanie opened her mouth to speak but his mother placed a hand on Stefanie's shoulder.

"You should go inside," his mother flashed her a weak smile.

Stefanie nodded. Leaving his parents outside, she took a deep breath before gently pushing open the door. Niklas turned his head as soon as the doors open.

"Hey," she smiled feebly."Hey," he replied. As she walked toward his bed, she glanced at his leg. It was completely wrapped in a cast from his knee down. That was definitely not a good sign.

"I never liked those boys you played with today anyway," she said as she took a seat beside his bed. A small smile formed across Niklas' face; just what she wanted to see. But it faded almost immediately as his eyes shifted to his leg.

"It's not their fault, Stefanie," he said softly.

She could practically feel the sorrow in the air as he let out a sigh. Throughout the one year that they have been in a relationship, Stefanie had never seen Niklas this down. Even losing games didn't make Niklas look as discouraged as he did that day.

"Of course it is! Once you're better, how about five goals against them?" She smirked in an attempt to lighten the mood.But instead, he looked up, and she could see that tears were beginning to form in his eyes. Nothing could have prepared her for what he was about to say.

"They think I might never be able to play football again."

Her eyes widened in shock. She tried to speak but the words wouldn't come out of her mouth. Niklas' looked away from her as the tears finally released themselves, raining down on his cheeks as he began sobbing uncontrollably.

"No," she shook her head, unable to accept the news. It couldn't be true. Her boyfriend lived and breathed football, there was nothing else that mattered to him more.

"It can't be," she uttered, searching his eyes for any sign of reassurance. Any indication that none of that was true. But he only looked back at her with red eyes, looking undeniably dejected.

Niklas loved football more than anything on the planet. And to have that ripped away from him would be like snatching away the one thing that he lived for. The one thing that he really truly loved.

"It's broken in three places," he explained, his voice cracking as he gestured to his leg.

She watched him as he cried, and she could feel the lump in her throat rising. The man she loved was broken and utterly devastated in front of her. It was an overwhelming sight. But she realized what she had to do. She had to be strong for him.

"No," she said firmly. She had to force herself to keep her composure despite the tears threatening to fall. He turned to face her, looking so crestfallen she almost wanted to give in and cry too. But she managed to hold herself together.

"You will play again," she said, "and do you know why? Because you are the most determined person I know. You never give up, Niklas. Even with one arm tied behind your back you will still fight till your final breath."

"But the doctors -"

"To hell what the doctors say!" She looked him right in the eye. "I believe in you, Niklas. I know you can prove them wrong."

He stared at her for awhile before letting out a small chuckle, "really?"

"Yeah. You're going to kick that ball again, I promise." She said, clutching his hand tightly. Finally, he flashed her that smile she had been waiting for. "You promise?"

"Yes, Niklas. I promise."

~

Niklas scanned the crowd for that familiar face. Despite the sea of people around him, he knew he could recognize his girlfriend effortlessly. He finally found her racing toward him, her eyes wide with excitement. Niklas enveloped her into a warm hug.

"A hat-trick? Really?" She laughed, her arms still draped around his neck.

"I have to impress my girlfriend, right?" He grinned.

Stefanie beamed at him. Niklas was happy again. Only two years ago he had been told he would never play football again. But there he was, wearing a champion's medal with a hat-trick and a man of the match to his name.

"Hey," he said as he placed his arm over her shoulders.

"Hmm?"

"Thanks for believing in me."

She smiled, glad that everything they had gone through had been worth it. "I knew you could do it."

--------

This story is dedicated to Everton player (as of May 2016) Ross Barkley, who really did break his leg in three places in 2010 but defied all odds and is now one of the best young talents in England, in my eyes :)