Call Me > Julian Brandt

Every Wednesday and Friday mornings, when he came in at 9 o'clock; she would be there. Alexandra was her name. She would either be whipping up coffee for a customer or vigorously scrubbing the counter tops.

She always greeted him with a smile, and Julian always replied with a small wave. She was a chatterbox, she could be speaking non-stop from the moment he ordered to the second he left the cafe. But honestly, he found that utterly adorable.

He loved listening to her talk. It was music to his ears; how she would gush about her dogs or grumble about infuriating customers. It was quite frankly the best part of his morning, something he always looked forward to.

"When are you going to ask for her number?" His teammate Lars questioned one morning, as the two of them strolled into the training ground together. Julian glanced at him, running a hand through his hair, "I don't know, man."

He exhaled quietly, turning to look at his friend, "What if she sees this as a strictly buyer-seller relationship only?" Julian seemed extremely anxious, but Lars on the other hand, slapped his friend's back while laughing loudly.

Julian furrowed his eyebrows at him, "what?"

Lars shook his head, wrapping an arm around his friend, "from the way she looks at you, the way she talks to you and the way she smiles when she sees you, I think she's very much into you."

Julian felt the heat rising to his cheeks as he pictured her smiling in his head. Lars narrowed his eyes at him, a cheeky smirk forming across his face.

"Tomorrow, we shall carry out Operation get-Julian-the-barista!" He announced, pulling Julian closer so he could ruffle up his already tousled blonde hair. Julian laughed as he tried to escape from Lars' grip. "Operation get-Julian-the-barista," he echoed, "really, Lars?"

🌏

Julian could feel his heart racing as he entered the cafe that chilly Friday morning with Lars. He was finally going to ask her for her number. Finally. But the moment he set foot inside, he could sense something was not right.

His eyes scanned the counter as usual, but to his surprise, she was nowhere to be found. Instead in her place was another barista, the guy who went by the name Alaric.

Lars and Julian exchanged glances, with Lars raising his eyebrows to indicate he too was surprised by her absence. Julian wasted no time in rushing over to Alaric, curious to know where Alexandra was.

"Hey, Alaric," he casually greeted the man, who was busy preparing some coffee. John glanced at the two, a deadpan expression on his face. "You are?" He asked after ten seconds of awkward silence between them.

"I'm Julian," he chuckled, trying to lighten the atmosphere, "and this is Lars." He gestured to Lars beside him. "We're regulars here, actually," Lars added, as Alaric's forehead creased in an attempt to recall their faces.

Eventually he shook his head, "I don't remember you guys." Lars glanced at Julian, subtly rolling his eyes. Julian chuckled, unmoved by Alaric's bitter ignorance. Alaric wasn't why they were there, anyway.

"We're looking for Alexandra," Julian quickly got down to business. Alaric stared at him, as if looking for any matches in his brain's old archives for that name. He finally nodded after what seemed like forever, "Alex! She's moved to another outlet."

In that moment, Julian's jaw almost dropped to the floor had it not been attached to his skull. Luckily for him, Lars was there to probe Alaric further. "Where to?"

Alaric shrugged, resuming his coffee-making behind the counter, "they only said one of our colleagues would be transferring with immediate affect."

"You have no clue where?" Lars frowned, to which Alaric simply replied with the shake of his head. Beside him, Julian looked absolutely devastated. His one chance to get her number was shattered, gone just like that. He couldn't believe it.

Lars crossed his arms over his chest as Julian slowly made his way out. "Hey," Lars called after him, "that can't be the end" Julian sighed, "she's gone, and -"

Alaric's monotonous voice stopped them in their tracks. "Are you Julian B. by any chance?"

Julian raised an eyebrow, the familiarity hitting home hard. That was what she always wrote on his coffee cup; Julian B. He nodded, and Alaric proceeded to disappear under the counter.

When he emerged, he was holding a note in his hand. "Alex said to give this to you," he mumbled. Julian quickly took it from him, suddenly feeling excited all over again.

Hey Julian B.! Sorry I disappeared without any notice. Not that it matters or anything. But, I mean, if it does matter I just wanted to pass you my number so we could maybe keep in touch? So, yeah, just call me :) -Alexandra

Lars chuckled as he watched Julian's eyes lit up like ornaments on a Christmas tree. Julian began eccentrically shaking Lars' arm, clearly beyond ecstatic. Lars smiled as Julian skipped out of the cafe, clutching the note tightly in his hand. Guess it wasn't the end, after all.

Here's another one of Julian Brandt, as requested by anonymous on my tumblr! :) I hope you guys enjoyed it! Thank you so much for reading and voting! catch you guys in my next one shot, wink wink. 😉