Perfectly Even > Roman Bürki

Kathleen stuffed her hands deep into the pockets of her jeans as a freezing gust of wind swept past them. Beside her, her date was talking about the lush greeneries of Iceland, a place she had been longing to visit for so long.

But it was difficult to keep up considering the fact that her teeth were so close to clattering from the stinging cold of the night. Luckily, or not; he noticed how uncomfortable she looked and was quick to react. "Here," he swiftly removed his sweater and passed it to her. Kathleen glanced at the sweater before promptly shaking her head, "no it's fine, Roman."

But Roman wouldn't take no for an answer. "You need it more than me," he flashed her a smile, and it was probably all that it took for Kathleen to oblige. To be utterly and completely honest, his smile was literally heart stopping. How could she say no to that?

Kathleen kept her head low as she put on his sweater, trying to hide the flush of her cheeks. Not only was this guy she had met only five hours ago a true gentleman, but he was also insanely gorgeous. She couldn't help but smile to herself, mentally thanking the heavens above.

It wasn't long before they reached her apartment building. Roman had insisted on walking her home, saying it was the least he could do to thank her for such a great night out.

"This is a lovely building," Roman gestured to the burgundy coloured structure which Kathleen called home. She laughed, nodding in agreement, "same thought when I first saw it."

He let out a chuckle as they came to a stop in front of the door. For a moment they simply stood there awkwardly, unsure of how to properly end the night.

Roman had been Kathleen's blind date for the night, set up for her by one of her friends. She had been nervous at first, having absolutely no clue what to expect from her date. But she was pleasantly surprised when he turned out to be a very interesting character.

He played football for a team in Dortmund, and he loved reading just like she did. He was humorous, enigmatic and had a brilliant way with words. To sum it up, he was everything Kathleen could have asked for.

"I had a great time today," he gushed, breaking the silence between them. Kathleen tucked a stray hair behind her ear, a shy smile across her face, "me too."

"I guess I should go, then," he said, "I'll see you again soon?"

She nodded, her eyes glued onto his captivating smile. He turned his head to look at something, and it was as if something urged Kathleen to lean up and peck his cheek. But just as she was about to kiss his cheek, Roman turned his head. And in that split second, their lips crashed into each other; hard.

Every bone in her body froze at that point, but her brain was screaming at her from embarrassment. Thankfully, she regained her composure quickly. Deciding she wouldn't stick around to see his reaction, she bolted for the door.

"Uh, bye, Roman," she mumbled, before shutting the door behind her. She ran a hand through her hair, sighing. And she had really believed the night was going great.

She almost couldn't believe it when he called her up again. She needed to return his sweater to him, and he thought why not go for a second date while they're at it. Kathleen didn't want to, after the huge blunder from their first date.

But Roman was persistent, and eventually Kathleen gave in.

So that was how they ended up in front of her apartment building again, after a humble dinner of tuna sandwiches and curly fries. Roman didn't bring up the kiss, much to Kathleen's relief, and after a while she simply forgot about it.

"They played rock paper scissors to decide whose team they would be on," he told her, causing the both of them to laugh heartily. "That's cute," she said, the smile plastered across her face.

They came to a halt in front of her door, and a wave of déjà vu immediately settled over them. But Kathleen wouldn't allow history to repeat itself. She really like Roman, and she wouldn't want anything to ruin the night.

"It was lovely tonight. Thank you," she smiled, her hand set on the doorknob. "Goodnight, Roman," she gave him a small wave and pushed open the door. But Roman wasn't finished for the night just yet.

"Hey, Kath?" He called, stopping her before she entered the building. She looked up at him, raising her eyebrows questioningly. Taking her by surprise, he leaned down to press his lips onto hers. Kathleen froze as he pulled back, feeling her heart racing in her chest.

"Now we're even," he grinned, causing her stomach to knot tightly. As he turned to walk away, he left Kathleen with the brightest red on her cheeks and the biggest smile on her lips. What a perfect night.

✕

YAY FINALLY GOT THIS UP. I literally fell in love with him all over again writing this. As requested by marcbaetra I'm sooooo sorry this took so long ): but I hope you guys enjoyed the story! Thank you for reading and voting!! As always, love you guyssss