Perfect Strangers > Erik Durm

As Erik leaned against the parapet, he casually listened to the song of nature; birds chirping in the horizon with the sky casting a dull-reddish color in the background. A small smile formed on his lips as he watched on.

This retreat was exactly what he needed. A short escape from the bustling city of Dortmund and his busy life. It was his last day in Indonesia, and he planned to make the best of it.

Once he was ready, he grabbed his backpack and hurriedly exited his hotel room. Not long later he found himself hiking Mount Bromo, one of Indonesia's many beautiful volcanoes.

His first reaction at the peak was his breath hitching in his throat. He was in absolute awe at the beauty of the stunning landscapes that greeted him. What made it more magnificent was the sun rising in the horizon.

"This is beautiful," he whispered to himself, quickly fishing out his camera. All around him, visitors from all walks of life stood quietly in their places, beholding the magnificent scene unfolding in front of them.

As he held his camera up, he was suddenly startled by the sound of fast and constant clicking beside him. He paused, coolly turning to see who was interrupting his perfect moment. There beside him stood a young woman, about his age, happily snapping away.

A massive smile was plastered across her face. She looked utterly, and completely contented. It was as if she was free from all troubles and just at ease with her life, exactly what Erik had always wanted. She looked like she was literally on top of the world.

He must have stared at her for a little too long because she suddenly turned to look at him. Erik froze, and they shared exactly three seconds of awkward eye contact.

"Beautiful sunset - uh, I mean sunrise," He quickly spoke, flashing her a shy smile. The woman chuckled, nodding in agreement, "I know right." She held up her camera before continuing, "got to capture every moment."

Erik mirrored her smile, before proceeding to hold up his camera at the sunrise. Sure it was a gorgeous view, but he couldn't help himself stealing glances at the woman beside him. She seemed oblivious to his fleeting looks, preoccupied with endlessly filling her camera roll.

"Do you, want me to take a photo of you?" He asked before he could stop himself. The woman looked at him, an unreadable expression on her face for a moment. Way to go Erik, what a total creep, he thought, annoyed at himself.

But surprisingly her expression changed to that of a happy one, "sure!" She exclaimed, taking a few steps back. "Could you take a jump-shot?" She passed him her camera, running a hand though her chocolate brown hair.

Erik nodded, holding up the camera as she got into position. For the next hour, the two strangers took turns taking photos of each other, amidst the dramatic backdrop of Mount Bromo.

"You take great photos," Erik complimented her as they looked through the photos on his camera. "I know," she dramatically flipped her hair, causing the both of them to burst into laughter.

"Hey let's take a Polaroid of us," she suggested, before shrugging shyly, "I mean if you're okay with that." A smile formed on Erik's lips, "sure."

He held up the camera, snapping a photo of himself and the stranger, someone he had met a mere 45 minutes ago yet felt so comfortable around. They studied the picture together, and the woman smiled, "I like it." If Erik didn't know better, he could have sworn she was faintly blushing.

"Ashley!" A piercing shout broke the moment between them. The woman looked to the direction of the voice, before glancing down at her watch. "Oh no," she silently cursed under her breath.

"I have to go," she said. "But it was nice," she made circles in the air, laughing, "this whole - hour." She beamed brightly at him, "thanks."

"Thank you, too," he replied as she scurried away. Erik found himself smiling as he watched her. How could his heart be beating so fast for someone he had only known for an hour? Maybe, it was because his heart wanted to know her far beyond just a simple hour.

But she was already out of his sight by then, probably far down the mountain. He sighed, mentally cursing himself for letting his chances slide just like that.

As he turned back to face the dramatic landscapes, he heard a familiar voice getting closer and closer. He spun around, to be greeted by the woman running up to him. She stopped in front of him, panting.

Holding up the Polaroid, she said, "keep it." She flashed him one last smile. With that she rushed back where she came from before Erik could stop her.

He scanned the Polaroid in his hand, not being able to contain the wide smile on his lips. At least he had a piece of her to keep. Maybe if fate had it they would meet again one day.

A gust of wind blew past him and the Polaroid, which he had been loosely holding, fell out of his hands. It was turned upside down on the ground, and he noticed scribbling on it.

Hey stranger,
Here's my email address :)
- Ashley

"Sly," Erik grinned as he read the words. It seems fate had its ways, after all.

An Erik Durm one as requested by amkelly31! Hope you liked ittttt :) thank you so much for reading and until next time! 😘