Chapter 9

During the car ride, Devin and Kevin decided to call Daniel, Dora instead. They kept asking him where's Boots and his parents. I happened to be wearing my red Adidas today so guess who they called Boots.

Kevin called Dinah, Swiper and him and Devin started cracking up in the car. I'm surprised my mom hasn't crashed yet.

Then he called Tatiana, what's his face, that blue cow. I think Devin got mad because that's when he called Kevin the map and ended his little laughing fit. Then he called his song Kevin's mixtape and he really shut up then. Not until he called Devin the big red bird.

And that's when Devin called him the grumpy old troll and we all were laughing, well except for Kevin. Kevin really stopped roasting after that, he just stared out the window as Devin kept mocking him and saying "I'm the grumpy old troll." in a troll voice. It was a very funny ride.

We had to borrow Daniel's mom's car because my mom's was too small. I sat next to my mom in the passenger seat, Dinah and Tati sat in the two middle seats, and it was Devin, Daniel, then Kevin in the back seat.

Daniel's ear drums must of popped from all Devin and Kevin's yelling and laughing across him. It was a twenty minute ride but probably felt like a hour to Daniel.

My mom bought three large popcorns so we can share and one small for her. Bet she did it on purpose. We also each got a drink and candy. On the open end was D, then Kevin, Devin, Tati, Daniel, me, then my mom. Wow, this is a lot of money she spent on us. And we're still going to the water park next. I know she said she has emergency money saved but still. We ended up watching The Jungle Book.

"Aye yo, Kev, that's you." Daniel whisper yelled and pointed to the orangutan on the screen.

"Shut up. Hey at least I'm the boss, you and Dev are just one of my chimp henchmen." Kevin rubs his chin.

"Kev don't get me started on your grumpy old troll self." Devin rubs his hands together. "Let's roast him." He waves all of us to follow him. We all rub our hands together and "boi if you don't get" him. Kevin waves us off and we all quietly laugh.

"Now he's salty that we solved his riddle." Daniel says and we laugh. The movie continues and I get hungry for popcorn. And you guessed it, as I reached into the bucket Daniel and I brushed hands. Nothing awkward happened though, he just moved his hand on the other side of the bucket.

Before I can pull my hand full of popcorn out the bucket he grabs my wrist. I look at him with an awkward smile and he gives me the 'what' look then tries to eat the popcorn out of my hand but half of it spills on him and the floor. I can't help but laugh as he swipes the crumbs off his lap.

"My hand?" I shake it for him to let go. Daniel shakes his head no. He wipes off my hand then holds it and watches the movie. My mom nudges my arm and gives me a thumbs up.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm heading to the bathroom." My mom whispers to me.

"OK. I have to go, too actually." I whisper back and start to stand up and let go of Daniel's hand but he squeezes mine.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

"To the bathroom, and you definitely can not come." When I let go of his hand he lays his head on it and the movie grabs back his attention. Luckily there was only two other people in the bathroom, I can't wait to get back to that movie. It's really good.

"So how are you and Daniel?" My mom says as we wash our hands in the sink.

"Friends, mom."

"Cassandra, he's already checked you out, cuddled you, and held your hand."

"How'd you know about that?" I go under the dryer.

"A few hours after the first time I scared you I wanted to scare you again but you all were so nicely cuddled with your pairs I just couldn't." She uses the dryer next to me. I sigh.

"I'm gonna be honest."

"I'm all ears." Before I get to continue my mom stops drying her hands and just dries them on her jeans. I follow her and do the same.

"I don't really know what I feel, which I shouldn't because we just met and all. I think I like him and I say I think because we just met. I don't think it's even been twenty four hours since met and he's so close. Like we've known each other for the longest. He held my hand in there. I don't wanna just fall for him, you know. He's just moving really fast." My mom has an unreadable expression on her face and pauses.

"No, that couldn't be." She whispers to herself.

"What couldn't be?"

"Nothing, honey. Just, I feel like you're right. Don't fall for him right away. You don't know if he's leading you on...and what he's leading you on to." My mom has rare moments like this, where she's absolutely serious but you know when she is. "Sorry, sweetie, I still really like him for you, don't worry. My teasing won't stop so soon." We laugh a little then walk back to our seats in the theatre.

Daniel starts to reach for my hand but I cross them as if I don't notice. I can feel him staring at me but not for long because then he lays on my shoulder. Not falling, not falling, he's just laying on my shoulder, that's not bad. I really hope I can go through with this not falling too fast thing. Sigh. But I think I really like Daniel.