Chapter 18

"I remember when I was about eight, my dad just left out of nowhere, I remember him arguing with my mom about something then he just left. Now I know he left because he wanted to keep us safe. I don't know if I should tell you the next part." I say and he shifts in his seat.

"You don't have to, don't worry."

"I feel like I should though, you said so many things, and you know nothing about me."

"No, really, it's ok."

"So," I look back up at him. "apparently my mom and I are apart of this organization called BFCE and this other one called CCCÉ is trying to the secrets my dad has. Only my mom, me, and this other person knows the password." Daniel doesn't say anything. The fire starts to die out. "You don't have to believe me."

"No, I believe you." He sighs.

"My mom said I shouldn't tell anyone, not even you, but, I kinda did. You wouldn't believe what the password is."

"You don't have to tell me," He glances at the torch. "there's no reason for me to know, right?"

"Well, maybe, if something happens to us then you'll at least know." I insist.

"Cassandra, don't say that and don't tell me."

"It's just my full name, gosh, it's not like you're gonna tell someone." I laugh.

"Shit, Cassandra." He starts pacing and runs his hand through his hair.

"What's wrong?" I stand up nervously and put a hand on his shoulder. He stops and holds both of my hands.

"We have to go." He pulls me and we start running.

"Wait, slow down." He stops and I lean over with my hands on my knees. "Can't we just walk?"

"Hop on." He squats and I jump on his back.

"What about the torch?"

"We don't need it." He starts running, after a while I can see the moon on the other side. When we get out he lets me down in front of the lake then quickly throws both of the plants in.

"Why'd you thr-" Then two explosions happen in the water.

"Cassandra just remember that I love you, ok?" He takes my hands again.

"Daniel?"

"I had to buy those plants because they had cameras in them and can hear everything we say. They've been listening for a week to make sure I didn't fail my mission." He glances around.

"What are you saying?"

"I'm in the CCCÉ. My mission was to get close enough to you so you can tell me the password, but I-"

"Are you serious?" I start to let go of his hands but he tightens his grip.

"But I didn't want to, I tried to tell you not to tell me but you did. I-" I yank my hands out of his and back away.

"So all of....this, whatever this was, was just for a mission, huh?"

"No, Cassandra, I started falling in love with you, like actually falling in love. It was fake at first, I promise-" He walks up but I back away again.

"How am I supposed to believe that? I mean you're trained for it, right? You just made it look that way so I would fall in love with you. I'm such an idiot." I run my hand through my hair.

"Cassie, listen to me."

"Don't call me that, Daniel."

"Please, you have to believe me."

"That's why you were moving so fast, you wanted to get the secret and head out. That's why you didn't like Michelle, right? She was opening my eyes and getting in the way of your plan." I shake my head.

"That's not true. I thought she was in the CCCÉ too, I wanted to protect you. Once I realized I actually liked you, I forgot about the mission, I can promise you that. Fuck it, Cassandra I loved you and I still do, even more than before. Just please don't just walk away from us. We can still make it out of this together." He once again takes my hand.

"I just, I can't," I let go. "I can't trust you anymore." I walk away

"Fuck!" I hear him yell, he throws his phone so hard on the ground it bounces twice, then he squats and lays his head in his hands rubbing his eyes. For a second I thought it was Michelle who was in the CCCÉ, maybe she is too, I can't even think at this point. My mom was right, I can't trust anyone. I need to call her, there's no way I'm letting him drive me home.

"Mom, I need a ride home."

"Where are you?"

"I really don't know, mom. Daniel's in the CCCÉ and he drove me out here just to get the password and he got it." I start bawling my eyes out.

"I'm coming, honey." She hangs up.

"Cassandra?" Daniel says and I slowly turn around. He looks terrible. His eyes are red and tears are still streaming down his face and you can tell his breathing is uneven. His phone screen is cracked all over and a small chunk is gone. His knuckles are bruised and bleeding.

"Please just don't say anything to me right now, ever actually."

"Remember when I said I'll love you no matter what? That was real. If you think everything else was a lie, and I know nothing I say can change your mind, but just remember that I brought you in that cave and told you things I haven't told anyone. That, back there, was not fake."

"Bye Daniel." With that I walk away.