Chapter 11

When we drove home, Daniel didn't even sit next to me. He sat in front with my mom. I guess Kevin and Devin noticed because they made sure I sat behind him. I kept catching him stare at me in the mirror and I didn't know what to do with myself. I mean, was it that bad?

I just didn't kiss him. And what did he mean by, right? What was he right about? What about me was he confirming? What was he thinking? I feel like he hates me now. What if he never talks to me ever again after this sleepover? What if-

"Ms.Felsa, can we stay over tonight?" Devin asks then glances at Daniel and I.

"Fine by me." My mom shrugs. Devin and Kevin start whispering to each other, when they stop they look directly towards me, then go back to whispering.

"We need to talk when we get home." Devin whispers in my ear. I just continue to stare at the back of Daniel's seat.

~~~~~~~~~~

When the car parks Daniel quickly walks to the trunk and gets his bag. My mom gave him the keys and he rushed into the house. We get our things and go inside.

"Here, Kevin's got your stuff, we need to talk." He takes my bags out of my hand and tosses them in front of Kevin along with his. Kevin rolls his eyes but takes my stuff. Devin pulls me to the kitchen.

"What happened between you and Daniel?" He asks. I don't say anything but nervously rub my elbow. "Cas-san-dra," He exaggerates. "tell me what happened." He takes a step closer to me.

"Fine," I sigh. "after you guys all jumped into the pool he swam over to me and said I abandoned him or whatever. Then I said it was his fault he didn't see it coming, and we were laughing. Then he randomly said that I was beautiful and started leaning in to kiss me but I panicked and backed away. Then he said right like he was confirming something and swam away when you called him." I explain feeling even more sad reciting what happened. Devin backs up and shakes his head like he's thinking.

"Wait, wait, wait, so, you didn't kiss him? Why? I thought you guys liked each other." He says.

"I know, I mean, well I don't know if he likes me but-"

"It was pretty obvious." He adds.

"Ok so yea, we liked each other, but I was trying not to like him be-"

"Why?" He interrupts.

"I was getting there. Because he's moving really fast, like we just met and it gives me all this nervousness, you know."

"Come on, Cassandra. You didn't kiss him because you were nervous?" He almost yells, then he stops moving around so much. "Are you scared of," He leans I about to whisper it. "s-"

"Devin, oh my god! You're seriously asking me that? No that's not the reason." He laughs, I really want to but I'm not, this is a serious moment.

"Sorry, sorry." He makes a straight face. "So what's the reason for all the nervousness?"

"What if I do go with it and he gets bored of me and just leaves me for another girl? Like Michelle, she's way prettier than me, I wouldn't be surprised if he already started liking her."

"Oh I see, I guess that's a good reason. So is the leaving fear personal?" He asks and I nod. "Yea, I thought so." After a small silence I decide to speak.

"So, what did he mean by right?"

"I don't know, Daniel has his own little world of how he makes sense of things. I'll ask him. Don't worry I gotchu, I won't say it's from you. Do you wanna talk about the personal thing?" He asks and I shake my head no. He gives me a hug that I wasn't expecting then goes upstairs.

"I heard about the situation." My mom comes around the corner. "What is the personal thing about? Only if you wanna share."

"Dad," I quickly say. "when he left."

"Oh honey, I didn't know you remembered. Why didn't you tell me?" She gives me a big hug.

"Mom, it's fine."

"Your birthday is in two weeks, big things are happening." She lets go of me but holds my hands.

"I'm just turning sixteen."

"Exactly. You're growing up so fast." She pretends to wipe a tear and I laugh. "Ok, I'm gonna go make a snack for you guys, good luck." She walks away. The minute she left I felt sad again. That situation still happened, and the person is upstairs. I sigh and turn the corner but bump into someone.

Oh kill me now, it's Daniel.