Chapter 20: The Storm

Kellen

It was Monday morning, and a day I honestly was not looking forward to. Since the whole fiasco with Natalie and my mother, I stayed true to my word and refused to let my son around her again. Ivy enrolled Amir in daycare the day he turned 1, and I was not ready to let him go. I spent half the morning just procrastinating and doing things around the house to avoid having to drop him off.

Now it was 10:00, and I was running late to work. I really needed to get a move on since I was meeting with a client today that wanted to rent my club out for this upcoming weekend. As I placed Amir in his carseat, my phone started ringing indicating I had an incoming call. I pulled it from my pocket, and answered the call without checking the caller ID.

"Where are you?" Ivy's voice flowed through the receiver.

I quickly ransacked my brain for a believable lie. I guess I thought one second too long.

"See the fact that it's taking you so long to answer let's me know you're about to lie. Take Amir to daycare Kellen!" she yelled.

I huffed as I walked around to the driver's seat. I hopped in and started the car up while balancing the phone between my ear and shoulder.

"Baby, this is a huge step for me," I sighed. "I don't want to let him go to daycare just yet. He's growing up too fast."

I could hear Ivy kiss her teeth on the other end. "Kel, stop being so dramatic. He's only 1, so there's no way he's growing up too fast. We are both entrepreneurs so it's almost impossible for us to watch him during the day. And this way he'll be around other kids his age so he'll develop social skills, and his cognitive skills will begin to develop." she explained.

I sighed biting down on my lip. "I guess you're right." I glanced back at Amir who seemed to be enjoying himself as he looked out the window watching the scenery pass by.

"It's gonna be okay baby," Ivy cooed. "The first step is letting go."

I kissed my teeth before lightly chuckling. "Yeah, yeah. I'll call you after I drop Mir off. Okay?"

"Mhm," she replied. "Love you. Love you Mir!" she shouted.

I rolled my eyes cause she knew damn well Amir couldn't hear her.

"Love you too crazy." I hung up the phone.

I glanced back at Amir once more and exhaled. Daycare here we come.

***

"Mr. Sanders, I understand how hard this must be for you, but you've got to let Amir go." Amir's teacher, Mrs. White, tried explaining to me but I was really tryna hear all that.

When we first got to the school I thought I could do this, but after taking Amir to his class and signing him in, I realized this was gonna be harder than I thought. I had a good mind to turn around, put Mir back in his car seat, and take him to work with me. Suddenly, the idea of some strangers watching my kids didn't seem like such a good idea.

"I'm not so sure this is a good idea," I mumbled, ready to walk away.

"Mr. Sanders," Mrs. White lightly grabbed my shoulder. "This happens more often than you think. Parents always have a hard time letting go of their little babies." She smiled up at me. "But, we promise to take good care of Amir."

I was still a little skeptical about leaving Amir here, but I knew one day I would have to let him go, it might as well be today. Slowly, I started to let go of Amir and hand him over to Mrs. White. It seemed like the closer I got to her arms, the more my heart began to break. Amir was actually growing up; the revelation hit me all at once. With Mrs. White now holding Amir, I took a step back and inhaled deeply. This was it. My babyboy was now in daycare. I waved "bye" to him, as he just smiled and looked around at the other kids. He didn't cry or anything, he actually seemed to be enjoying himself. It was like he knew where he was, and this was exactly where he wanted to be; surrounded by kids his own age.