Chapter 6

Xena helps Solan to his feet and walks him in the direction Gabrielle had went. She reaches the river just in time to see Ares push Gabrielle into the water. Yelling out her famous warcry, Xena flips, kicks Ares, and catches Gabrielle before she hits the water.

"You're faster than I expected, Ares, but you aren't fast enough. I should have told you I wanted Gabrielle to myself. I assumed you would be smart enough to know that."

"You can't let your petty thinking get in the way of the ultimate goal. These things distract you from the big picture, Xena. You ruling with me as my queen. I don't need someone who wants to be the hero themselves, I need someone who is willing to let someone else take credit once in a while. With Gabrielle in the way, you aren't available to work with me."

"Oh Ares, I know you want to rush but can't we just take our time."

Xena glances at Solan giving a slight nod, then kisses Ares. With Ares distracted, Solan sneaks forward and switches Ares's sword with the Sword of Hephaestus which he had aquired few years earlier with a little help from Hades. Xena pulls away from Ares.

"Now be a dear and cut Gabrielle loose and get Callisto out of whatever mess you put her in."

"Oh Xena. I wish I could say no to you but I can't and quite frankly I don't have the time to."

Ares pulls Callisto out of the water and sets the two girls side by side. With one blow of the sword, Gabrielle and Callisto are free and Ares is turned to dust.

"Hope you enjoyed your swim Callisto. Now, we have two horses and need to make it to Amphipolis before midday. Callisto, get on your horse, I'll hand Solan up to you, be careful, he is injured. Gabrielle you can ride with me. If we get going now, we will be able to get there long before the army will and we can warn the villagers."

Callisto hops on her horse and helps Xena get Solan up in front of her. Xena and Gabrielle climb up on Argo and they start toward Amphipolis.