Chapter 9

Callisto stands in the doorway of the tavern.

"They're getting closer, Xena. We should get ready to fight."

"You're right. Divide into three ranks. Archers go with Callisto, Swordsmen with me, and men with spears go with Gabrielle. We can attack with archers first, it will take them by surprise. Swordsmen at the rear, those fighting with spears will be the middle men."

Gabrielle stands and grabs a spear. 

"You heard Xena. Get your weapons and get out there."

"Now, Gabrielle, Callisto. If either of you feel like there is something else that needs to be done, do it. We are working as equals."

Xena smiles at Gabrielle.

"Thanks Xena."

"I'll see you on the battlefield," Xena smiles, caressing Gabrielle's cheek. She addresses both them, "Let's move these guys right outside the city, try to keep the army from reaching town."

They set up their men outside city limits and get them in formation. The opposing army comes out of the trees.

"ARCHERS. FIRE"

Callisto gives the first command of attack sending arrows flying through the air. Men start dropping like flies as the arrows hit their mark. 

"MEN, I NEED HALF OF YOU TO GO LEFT AND THE OTHER HALF RIGHT. SURROUND THEM ON EITHER SIDE AND ATTACK," Gabrielle orders.

She drops her spear and draws her sword, slashing throats and spilling blood all around her. Xena signals her men to attack and moves up beside Gabrielle. They stand back to back as the waves of men come toward them.

"Exactly how many men are in this army?"

"I would say about 500 or more."

"Then this is only the first wave. You know, half the army would have done the trick. Sending all your men isn't a good plan."

"It is if someone wants the attention of the Warrior Princess."

"This is the way to get on the bad side of the Warrior Princess. Drop your sword and grab my arms."

Gabrielle drops her sword and Xena does the same. Bakc to back they link arms and together flip out of the cirlce of soldiers kiaiing. They turn and face each other. Linking hands as soldiers race toward them, Xena lifts Gabrielle, of the ground spinning around as Gabrielle kicks the soldiers back. 

"Retreat and regroup!" One of the sodiers calls for them to fall back.

"Callisto, get all the wounded back to town. Take our wounded to the hospice and take the others to the jail. Gabrielle and I are going to scout out the rest of the soldiers. This was just the first attack, they will be back."