Epilogue

Headphones in my ears, I leaned my head up against the window of the train. I didn't even want to get on this dang train but Justin insisted I ride a train at least once in my life. I'm not that big of a fan of the eight hours and thirty five minutes I am spending on this train. As the sun is out and shining, I know I'm close to my destination now for it's morning time. I've been on this train since eight last night.

    Irritated, I shifted in my seat, looking out at the incoming beauty of Vermont. Man I've missed this place. It's definitely forty degrees right now and I can feel the cold seeping in through the train, yet I love it. I miss wearing tacky boots and a huge coat only to run outside and help my father with something farming related. I hardly ever did it. Miranda always did it and still does.

    I'm surprised Elle was even able to get everyone together for Thanksgiving without me and in my hometown. My mom has texted me to death about all of the food she slaved over and how it's going to be one of the best Thanksgivings we've ever had because Elle made her special gravy. I rolled my eyes thinking about how much my mother admires Elle.

    Elle even got my mother to toss those jerusalem sevens. I'm so freaking happy that I won't have to see her ever wear those again I could scream. Miranda sent me an entire Snapchat story of her burning them at this bonfire she went to with Linet and Lucy. I was extremely amused.

    Everyone has been talking about Thanksgiving for months and honestly I can't wait for it to be over with. Jace even flew in from Amsterdam for this.

    Distracted, I nearly jumped out of my skin, as a young girl slid in next to me from my seat on the Amtrack train. I'm in coach, what is she doing?

    "Jesus! You nearly frightened me to death," I gasped out, my heart racing, armpits itching.

    "Sorry," she squeaked out, her voice small. She is all big green eyes and massive brown hair. She peered up at me, her tiny little face making my heart melt. "Aren't you Kasey Lewis?"

    "Yes," I answered, a little weary. She's so quiet I wouldn't be able to hear her if I weren't this close to her.

    "Wow, you're so pretty." She blushed, hiding beneath her hair.

    "Thank you. You're pretty too. What's your name?"

    "Rebecca."

    "Hi, Rebecca, it's nice to meet you."

    "I just wanted to thank you for making the gluten free log that you released last month. I have celiac disease and it's been really hard for my family to try and make accommodations for me and your log made it simpler and now I don't feel so weird when I'm eating differently at school because everyone loves your foods regardless of if they are gluten free or not."

    Stunned, I said, "Wow, um, you're welcome."

    Rebecca smiled gleefully and then sat next to me on the train for the remainder of the journey, telling me all about how much she loves her grandpa's farm in Vermont and how he makes her the best gluten free food out of anyone she has ever known. She told me she was twelve and she made the rest of the train ride bearable.

    Having come from Penn Station in New York, I can't help but notice how much colder it is in Vermont. I moved closer to Rebecca, joking about how our tiny bodies could keep each other warm. She beamed, putting her shoulder up against mine.

    When the train finally stopped, I was so grateful I could cry. I really wanted some stuffing in my mouth right now and to see Justin because while I was in New York for two weeks, he was back in Texas working while I missed him dearly. Things aren't the same when Justin isn't constantly making me sexually frustrated every single day before I do anything even remotely productive.