Chapter 14

Chandler's POV
Saturday December 24, 2015

I woke up and saw what time it was. About ten after nine. Well I got nothing to do today, Brianna's in Florida with her family for Christmas.

I'm kinda glad she's away for now, ever since we got together, all she wants is sex. Hell I'm not that kind of person.

I looked at my desk lamp and saw an old photo of Sam and I. I looked at it and frowned. I held it to my chest and took a deep breath.

I don't know how I feel about her anymore. I feel bad for her, ah why do I feel so much pity! I hate her, but I still love her.

I shook my head and though that was a stupid thought. I should go visit her.

I got dressed and walked out to my car. I started it and drove off.

I arrived to the hospital and went to Sam's room. She was asleep.

She was beaten up bad. I sat down next to her and I laid my head down next to her. She had a bandage wrapped around her forehead and stitches on her face.

"Howdy Chandler, yer here real early huh." Sam said in her raspy voice.

"Hey, how're you feeling." I sat up.

"Horrible. I ain't goin' back to Iraq in another month. Or a lil' more than a month." She said sitting up.

I gently tried to put her back down.

"What're you doin' Riggs..?" She looked at me weirdly.

"You should stay down Sam, I think it's best if you take it easy. Remember what sarge would say, at ease soldier." I laughed.

"You said that in the ambulance."

Every time Sam spoke she sounded like she was drunk.

"One hell of a Christmas Eve this is gonna be huh..." I said blankly.

She nodded.

"Hell, you think that's bad? I got nobody to spend it with..." Sam said, frowning.

I raised an eyebrow.

"What about your mom?"

She shook her head.

"Mom's outa town for a dumb trip, she wouldn't tell me what it was and that I'll find out what it is when she gets here..."

"Oh..."

It was silent for a bit.

"I have a question, 'bout two to three days ago you completely hated me. Now your all nice to me..." Sam spoke up.

I sighed. I didn't know how to answer that.

"Honestly, when Katelyn called me in a panic when you weren't breathing, I knew that I may never see you again. Which led me to thinking that people don't appreciate or enjoy one's presence enough, until the time comes. Knowing that they know they might not see that person ever again. Then when they realize that, they become regretful of all those times they could've spent with that person... And I realized how horrible I treated you. I feel really bad for everything... I wanna make it up to you somehow. Oh and by the way, Brianna is in Florida so..." I explained.

Sam smiled.

"I don't know what to say..."

It stayed silent and we stared at each other.

It was awkward but we got used to it.

"So uh, how's it with you and Brianna...? If you don't mind me askin' you." Sam asked, scratching her cheek awkwardly.

"Oh, we're good I guess. Heh." I rubbed the back of my neck.

She nodded her head.

"I'm gon' take a nap. So you can go if ya wanna." Sam turned on her side, getting comfortable.

"You sure Sammy? I don't mind staying while you nap." I stood up and placed my hand on her shoulder.

"It's alright boy, honestly I really did enjoy you bein' around with me. Thank you." She reassured me, smiling.

I smiled back.

"Of course..."