out of focus.

-Scarlett's POV-

The day was long, and rather uneventful after Science. Mostly blurry and out of focus.
I sat in history now, Tyde had turned in our project and sat down next to me. Mr. Adams said we had the period to ourselves since he was grading. I reached for my notebook and began writing anything that came to mind. "Hey do you want to come over after school and hang out?" Tyde asked.
I stopped writing and looked up at him. He was smiling, I looked back on my paper and continued writing.
"Tyde, we're done with the project you don't have to hang out with me anymore." I whispered.
"I know, but I want to hang out with you."
I sighed and put my pencil down, "Why? Why me out of all people would you chose to have as a history partner or to hang out with?"
"Because I think you're pretty cool and I'd like to know more about you." He put his hand on my back, I flinched when he did.
"We're two completely different types of people Tyde."
He shrugged, "How?"
I shrugged, "I don't know Tyde. You're one of the most popular boys in school. You have great friends and every girl in school probably has a crush on you. Then when I come along, a strange girl from Albany who has no friends and no social life, and you feel the need to be my friend. To me it just feels like you feel sorry for me. And frankly, I don't need that."
"How would I be feeling sorry for you?"
I stood up and put my books in my bag, then shrugged, "I've got to get to my next class." I said as the bell rang.
I sped up my walking pace so Tyde couldn't catch up to me. Honestly I didn't feel like going to my last class, I felt like skipping. So I did. I went the opposite way of which my class was and walked right out the front door. People didn't seem to notice because other people were leaving too. Good thing.
I walked home from school, even though the sun was baring down on me. The walk was fine, and luckily I had a house key on me. I unlocked the front door and went inside.
I set my things on the floor and grabbed a glass of water. Before I headed to my room I heard a knock on my door. My heart stopped, who could it be? I set my glass down and opened the door slowly.
"Tyde?" I asked as I widened up the door.
"Hey."
"What the hell are you doing here? Did you follow me?"
He nodded shyly, "I was worried, why'd you cut class?"
"Why did you?" He said nothing, "Come on in. It's scorching hot out here."
I closed the door behind him, "Your home is lovly." I heard him say.
I was about to say it wasn't my home, but then I remembered I had to pretend that it was. "Thank you. You you like something to drink?"
"Water is fine." I served him a glass.
"Since you're here, might as well study together." I grabbed my bag and walked into my room. Tyde sat down in my desk chair and I sat in my bed.

-Tyde's POV-

Scarlett sat on her bed quietly doing her homework. I looked at her and wondered what she was thinking. What she could be hiding. The same question kept rolling around in my mind, why does she push people away?
I was tempted to ask but I could tell she was already annoyed by me being here. "Hey, could you help me on this question?" She asked.
I stood up and sat next to her, "Which one?" She point the one she had trouble with and I read it to myself. It was simple math.
"Okay, so what you have to do is fine the volume of the cone."
"How do I do that?" She looked up at me. Her eyes were a light brown and they shimmered.
"You have beautiful eyes." I didn't realize what I said until Scarlett said,
"No I don't Tyde."
"Sorry about that, but..." I was going to help her with her math until something else came to mind. "Why do you do that?"
"Do what?"
"Reject a compliment."
"I don't do that."
"Yes you do. Why is that? Do you not think you're good enough or something? Because if you do that's not true Scarlett, you know that right?"
"How do you know? You..."
"'You don't know me Tyde. You've just met me' I know Scarlett. But I know just enough." She just looked at me, with a worried look in her eyes.
"I'm not sure."
She was hiding something. What she was telling me didn't make sense and I wanted to know the truth. So instead of continuing my investigation I said, "The formula to find volume is one-third times pi radius square times height."

***

"Tyde it's getting late, I think you should head home." Scarlett said.
"It's only four o'clock." I replied.
She nodded, "My parents will be here soon."
"I'd love to meet them."
Her eyes widened, "Not today actually, they're pretty busy." She handed me my things and I stood up from my seat.
"That's a bummer." Scarlett took my hand and pulled me towards the front door. I shook her hand off of me, "Why don't you want me to meet them Scarlett?"
She sighed and looked down, "It's complicated."
I tried to get her to look at me, but she wouldn't budge, "Do they hurt you?"
She looked up quickly, "No Tyde! Why would you think that?!"
"I just thought because of..." I didn't even have to explain what I was talking about, she already knew what I meant.
She sighed, "My parents don't hurt me. They've never laid a hand on me actually. Don't worry about the bruises and cuts on my facd." I just continued to looked at her, "Its nothing to worry about Tyde. They're fading, I'll be fine."
"Why can't you just tell me."
"Tell you what?"
"Everything."

-Scarlett's POV-

Something inside of me began to turn. "It takes a lot for me to trust someone Tyde. Just give me some time."
He nodded, "I'll see you at school tomorrow." He grabbed his things then left.
I laid back in my bed and sighed. I knew that he cared but why? Why me out of all people would he want to care about? I didn't want him to. I didn't want anyone to.