guilt & confusion.

-Scarlett's POV-

It was now the next day and I've been avoiding Tyde. I didn't want him to try to force a friendship out of me by hanging out with me. Why didn't he just get the idea that I didn't want him to get close to me.
I walked through the hallways with Brandon, the only other person that liked me. "Hey what's going on between you and that Tyde kid?" He asked me.
I shrugged, "Nothing. Why do you ask?"
"You guys were hanging out all week last week, and today you haven't even taken a glance at him." He said as he opened his locker.
"I just need some space."
Brandon handed me a book to hold for him, "Why?"
"It's personal." I said to him as I handed his book back.
The truth is, I didn't really know why I was avoiding Tyde. Some space wasn't a good enough answer for me. If it wasn't that then what was it?
Brandon closed his locker and just looked at me for a second, "Just don't avoid him too much."
I nodded. We were skipping lunch and heading to the library to study.Both of us walked into the library and sat at a table near a window.
I took out my science book and began to do the homework that was given today. Brandon was helping me out on an assignment when I saw him look up at me. He was about to speak.
"I already know what you're going to say Brandon. I don't need to hear it." I told him as I sat back.
"Well too bad. I'm going to tell you anyway. He means well Scarlett. The least you could do is give him a chance."
"No I know, I just need some time to think about it."
"Then you should think a lot faster."
Brandon then went back to his work and I just sat there thinking.
I know Tyde means well. I know that he just wants to help me and be there for me. But no one seems to get where I'm coming from. Then again, I can't really tell them.

***

It was a long walk home, longer than usual. Mason has swim practice so he would be getting home later. What happened at lunch kept rolling around in my head and I was beginning to feel confused and a bit guilty. I kept asking myself these questions.
Why can't you just tell him?
Why do you have to be so private?
What are you going to do if he finds out?
Will he find out?
In the end I only had two answers, I don't know and to protect myself. They weren't very good answers, but it was the best I could come up with. I opened the front door and sunk to the ground. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I didn't want to hurt him if he wanted to be there for me.
I just sighed and sat there.