Chapter 28 (Just revised)

Camille

It felt nice having Dom's arms around me as we danced slowly to The Weekend Earned It, his hands slowly running down my back, the heat from his hand on my bare skin felt intoxicating and the man could dance; he made me feel like I was the only one here.  Sometimes it scared me so much when I looked into his eyes because I could still see cold and dark looking back at me, like he was just teetering on the line between good and evil, light and dark; could I be enough for him?  Would he think I was enough?  

He leaned down and whispered "Stop it."  I looked into his eyes; he knew.  He twirled me around, my back to his front, his arms capturing me as he rolled his hips into me.  I bit my lower lip to keep from moaning out loud as he twirled me back around to finish out the song. 

 I was ready to go home, tonight had been very emotionally and mentally draining; I had a lot to process and I hated the fact that I now had to decide if I was going to let a relationship form between me and a man that I knew nothing about until tonight.  I know it wasn't his fault, but it wasn't mine either.  Merda!   I thought.  Maybe I just needed a good night's sleep.  Yeah, that would fix everything.  As if sensing my thoughts Dominic asked me if I was ready to leave.  

"I am.  I'm kind of tired" I told him.  He nodded and we went to find his mom and Antonio. 

Antonio kissed me on my cheek and handed me a business card with his phone number and email address on it.

  "I will be in town the rest of the week" he said.  "I would love to hear from you, Camille."  I took the card and stared at it for a moment and then smiled at him. 

 "I would love to see you again too" I said as I gave him a half hug; it felt awkward.  Dominic and I told his mother goodbye and she made me promise to call her so we could do lunch one day.  He put his hand on the small of my back and led me through the house and out to the car.  Once we were inside I heard Beni on a walkie-talkie talking to more of Dominic's men; apparently they were following us.  

We pulled out onto the main road and started heading back to the high way when I heard Carlo's voice say he thought we were being followed.  The atmosphere completely changed in the car and I saw Dominic's demeanor change before my eyes.  

"Vehicle!" he snapped. 

 "It's a blacked out SUV, Boss" Carlo called out.  I heard Carlo yell out.   "They rammed our vehicle!  Beni, get him out of there now!" he shouted. I could hear men yelling and popping noises; I knew that was gun fire.  Everything started happening so quick after that!

Dominic pushed me down into the floor, I could see he had his gun and I could hear Beni yelling at people over the walkie-talkie.  A few moments later our car lurched and swerved. 

 "Boss!  Get down and keep her down!"  Beni was now swerving and bumping the SUV and then I heard that same popping and the passenger's side back window shattered and I screamed out. 

 "Camille, no matter what happens you stay down!" Dominic yelled at me.  All of a sudden the SUV was gone and Beni was talking to Carlo again and the driver of the other follow car; they had run it off the road and the follow car was taking care of the occupants. 

 I felt like I was going to throw up, my heart was beating so fast and I bit down on my lip to choke back a sob.  When we knew it was all clear, Dominic hauled me up into the seat and for the first time since I've known him he was panicked.  

"Are you okay?  Are you hit?" he was frantically asking me. 

 "I'm fine" I answered feeling strangely calm.  I wondered if I was in shock.  Beni sped the rest of the way, hardly stopping for anyone or anything; thankfully this time of night/early morning there wasn't much traffic on the roads.

  I've never been so glad to see a gated drive in all my life and my heart started to come back down to normal as soon as we pulled up to the back of the house.  I hoped my jellied legs would be able to get me out of the car and into the house.  Beni had come around and opened our door. 

 "Camille, mind the glass" he said cautiously as I picked up my behind and stepped from the car that way.  When I turned around Beni's face went white. 

 "Camille?  Are you hit?" he asked.  I shook my head looking at my shoulder, seeing blood. 

 "It's not my blood" I replied.  I looked back at Dominic who looked a little white.  I walked to him and put my hand on his right arm, pulled it away and almost vomited.

"It's Dom!" I yelled.  He was already trying to shrug his jacket off, pain written all over his face.  "Merda!" I cursed.  As Beni helped him into the house, I led the way.  

"Beni, first aid kit!" I barked.  He got Dominic seated at the kitchen table while I kicked off my shoes in the middle of the kitchen and got my hands washed.  Beni put the kit on the table and I started helping Dominic unbutton his shirt. 

 "I got it!" he snapped. 

 "Dominic Valentine!" I yelled.  "Basta! (enough!)" I finished.  Needless to say he let me finish what I was trying to do.  I got his shirt off and checked the wound.  "Cazzo (fuck)" I cursed under my breath.  "Beni, whiskey" I said calmly.  "The bullet is still in there.  I have to get it out" I told Dominic.

  I just prayed that I could do this and do it right before I passed out.  Beni brought me the whiskey, I poured it on Dom's arm and he cursed and hissed.  I wasn't surprised when I opened up the first aid kit and found a good sized pair of tweezers and the items to make stitches. 

 Somehow I manged to get the bullet out and sew him up with a few stitches; I handed the bullet and liquor back to Beni, turned around to say something to Dom when everything went black.