10 Lucas: It's Our Fate

Geez... has it really come to this? Before I know it , I'm sitting behind the steering wheel of a car. My hands are glued so much to the wheel that my fingers turn right. I start the engine.
"You have your seatbelt on , right?"
"I don't think we should worry about that now.", I reply.

I pull the vehicle in reverse and start driving through a path out of the woods. The path is bumpy, but we're halfway out.
"This is what we're gonna do. I'm going to drive down towards the road  and then you have to drive back. He won't see the same driver and think it's just a normal person on the road. Got it?"
Her eyes widen in shock.
"Um, in case you didn't remember, I can't drive. No license, remember?"
"Well then, consider this your driving lesson."

The exhaust roars to life as the speed of the car accelerates. We're nearly out of the woods when the sheriff shows up again, with back up.
"Remember, this key starts the engine and this pedal is what makes the car go,
this pedal makes the car stop. Now your ready to drive."
"Umm... No."
"Come on, I already told you what you need to do. It's simple, anyone can drive an automatic car."
She heaves a sigh of relief and then we switch seats. She grips the wheel even tighter than me.
"If I crash , it's your fault."
"Actuall-"

Mered stamps on the pedal and the force nearly causes my body to slam into the front of the passenger seat.

"You're a really rough driver. Anyways, we need to get home , pack our bags and get out of here."

"But that cabin was nice, Lucas."
"Well we are in hiding , so this was bound to happen."

After a journey of bumps and speed, we get home and start to pack.
"I can't believe the sheriff lost track of us."

"Because he saw a different driver, instead of me. Told you the plan would work."
"Yeah- whatever. So, were are we going now?"

"Well we have to get to a hotel and stay there for sometime."

"Where would that be?" I was really getting annoyed with her.

"Out of this town. Please can you stop asking me questions."

Once we're done packing, I start the car and we make our way out of town. Trees zoom by us and the air feels heavy. Mered's right. It doesn't feel good to constantly move to new places. I guess a home is important. But that's not the issue now, it's our fate.
"Hey which hotel are we going to, Lucas."

I remain silent.

"Come on , which one?"

"You'll see when we get there", I reply.

We pull up into the driveway and get our suitcases. I carry mine Mered's and mine into the hotel across us. It looks luxurious and everything looks encrusted in gold.
"Man, this place looks expensive."
"I know."
"What made you pick this place? Where'd you get the money to pay?"
"Look Mered , I need some silence right now, okay?" That shut her up.

When we get to the reception area, a women arrives with our room key and a sheet with our room number.
"Thank you very much," I respond.
"Wait, Lucas? You already made a reservation?"
"Hush, Mered."
"No, I can't hush."

She runs down the hallway, past the elevator and brushes everyone in her way. Except one.
"What are you doing, little lady?"
"Jeffrey?"