Chapter 9: Grief

*Jean's POV*

I haven't ate much, I haven't slept much, I haven't even gotten out of this room once I entered it. Hey, I'm actually tracking all the biological needs that I lacked ever since the titans came and ruined everything.

They actually took everything from me. And I mean everything. They killed my parents, blew up my school, they left my home in ruins. And...they even took Marco away from me. It had to be him too.

And what was I left with? My teachers, my friends, and having to live in Connie's house. Luckily his house is pretty big and had plenty of rooms so it won't be very hard for me to adapt to living here. But I haven't left my new room to eat or anything. I just stayed in bed and stared at my ceiling for hours and hours to come.

All I thought about was everything I lost in this so called "fight". And how I could've saved them. One of the worst parts was I don't even know how it happened. I mean I know my parents were killed by titans and Marco was killed by Annie, but I was oblivious to the processes of how those happened. It would be better if I knew more about their deaths.

I snapped back to reality when I hear the door opening, it was none other than Connie Springer.

As he saw me, he sighed heavily, "You gotta get out of this room eventually. You've been here for hours and you missed dinner time."

"Yeah and why do you care? You have Sasha to clean up all your leftovers." I hissed in response.

"Look, I know you're depressed as hell about your parents and Marco. Everyone's families died and we all spent a good four hours crying and yelling at ourselves for letting this happened. Hell, most of us are so scarred that we can't even find happiness anymore. But you haven't done anything in the last twelve hours. You're basically starving yourself to death, that's just going too far-//."

"Remind me why you're here." I ignored his statement with my...fairly rude question.

"Oh right. I forgot complaining about you not leaving the room for twelve hours wasn't the real reason I came here. But I was distracted and clearly creeped out when I saw lying on your bed staring at the ceiling as if you were dead-//."

"Stop fooling around and just get to the damn point already." I said, annoyed with his side comments.

Once again, Connie sighed, "the reason I'm here is because I need to tell you to prepare."

"For what?"

"...Marco's funeral."

"..."

"Its today."

I was hesitant. I mean I thought they were just going to bury the bodies or burn them or something. Now I'm about to feel way worse than I already am.

I don't even know what to say. I didn't make a eulogy, I don't have anything to bring to him as a blessing,nothing. This is Marco's funeral. I want it to be special, not last minute.

"Hey Jean." Connie called.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"You spaced out."

"Oh...sorry."

For the third time, Connie sighs, while opening the door, "Just get ready, alright?"