BreakUp|TomHolland

■■■

"So how's the girlfriend doing?" I asked Tom as I handed him a soda can and took a seat next to him on the couch.

"What girlfriend?" He asked, opening the can, his eyes not leaving the tv screen in my living room.

"My god, two weeks here in the states and you've forgotten all about her already." I teased.

"It's not that." he frowned at the carpet, "We broke up."

"What?" I asked.

"Yeah. Like two months ago." He said as if it was nothing.

"What?" I repeated, "And I'm barely hearing about this now?"

"It just didn't come up." He placed the can on the coffee table, resting his elbows on his knees, his head turned towards me.

"And I've been walking around all this time thinking we were good friends." I said.

"We're not good friends?" Tom asked, a smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"Apparently not," I continued to joke, "Something huge happens in your life and I'm the last one to know about it."

"You're not the last one." He chuckled, leaning back on the couch.

"Yeah. Okay." I said, "So what happened? Do I need to go hop across the pond and kick her arse."
He laughed along with me at my horrible accent.

"No." He laughed, "You'll be the one who's gonna get your arse kicked if you go there with that accent."

"Shut up, yeah?" I laughed, pushing my hair out of my face, "But seriously, what happened?"

"It just wasn't working out anymore." He shrugged.

"Did you get dumped?" I asked.

"No." He chuckled.

"Is that denial I hear?" I teased.

"No, it's not denial." He smiled, "I just didn't feel the same way about her anymore. I actually hadn't for a long time. I met someone else, It wasn't fair for her."

"How'd she take it?" I asked.

"Not well..." He leaned forward once more, his elbows on his knees.

"Hmm.." I paused, "So who's this new girl that caught your attention?"

I heard him release a breath of air through his mouth and rubbed the palms of his hands together twice before turning to look at me.

"You." His dark eyes met mine.
I desperately searched his face, waiting for him to smile and make the joke clear. Instead, his eyes held mine, his features worried, as if he was afraid.

"Me?" Was the only thing I could manage. I watched as he nodded twice, licking his lips and dropping his gaze.

"I don't want this to ruin our friendship." He said, "I just..."

"It won't ruin our friendship." I said, moving to the edge of the couch to his left to meet his eyes. I placed my hand on his shoulder as he turned to look at me. He leaned closer to me, his lips brushed against mine, kissing me softly.
I felt his hands wrap around my waist as I ran my fingers through the curls on the back of his head, deepening the kiss.
He was the first to break it, I kept my eyes closed as I listened to his shaky breath and felt his forehead resting on mine.

"This might ruin the friendship though." I chuckled lightly as his lips brushed mine. 

"I'm sure it won't." Tom smiled against my lips before kissing them once more.