Girlfriend|PeterParker

■■■

"What kind of film did you say you needed?" I glanced over my shoulder at Peter as we walked down the isles of the store.

"Right here." He pointed at a spot on the shelf, "They ran out."

I walked back several steps and brushed against his shoulder, his eyes met mine before nervously looking at the floor and moving to the side.

"Maybe they have more in the back?" I shrugged, looking around the stock they had piled up over the shelves, "There." I pointed to the packages way out of our reach.

"I don't see anyone." Peter looked around the store for someone to help, "Hang on."
He left me alone as he went to look for someone.

"Hello?" I heard his voice carry through the small store as I rocked back and forth on my heels.

"Any luck?" I asked as I saw him turn the corner and walk towards me.

"Does anyone even work here?" He asked.

I took my eyes off him as I scanned the isle and found what I was looking for. I walked away from Peter and pushed a ladder back to him.

"I don't think we're supposed to be doing that?" He said.

"Then maybe they should have people working here." I smiled at him as I adjusted the ladder.

"Okay, just be careful." He stood on the left side of the ladder as I started climbing.

"Yeah, yeah." I was at eye level with the product, "It's this one right?" I glanced down at him.

"Yup." I heard him say as I took the small box in my hand. I started to climb down, my foot slipped, along with my grip on the metal ladder. I braced myself, waiting for the harsh unwelcoming contact of the tile floor. Instead o felt a pair of arms around me.
I opened my eyes and recognized my friend.

"How did you do that?" I asked.

"Are you okay?" He ignored my question, setting my feet down so I could stand.

"You were over there." I pointed to the spot where he was standing, the package still in my hand and my other hand on his bicep.

"No." His eyes shifted nervously.

"Yes." I continued to look back and forth, looking for an explanation.

"Did you hit your head?" Peter asked me.

"No." It came out sounding more like a question than a statement.

"Come on." He chuckled at my confusion. I felt his hand on my lower back as he led me out of the store.

■■■

I walked with him down the busy streets. He's been my best friend since I could remember. Always there for each other.

"Listen," Peter said, "I was thinking..."

"Don't hurt yourself." I laughed and took a small spoonful of my ice cream.

"I- I- I've been thinking about this for a long time." He stopped walking.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I stood next to him.

"We- we- we've been friends for a long time." He messed with the small spoon in his hand, avoiding my eyes, "I was thinking we skip all this and I'd ask you to be my girlfriend."

He spoke so quickly it took me a few seconds to process his words.

"Girl- girlfriend?" I unintentionally matched his stutter.

"...Yeah." Peter finally met my eyes.

"Yeah." I said without a second thought. His smile matched the one I felt on my lips.

Police sirens filled the air and five police cars flew by us.

"Hey, I have to go." Peter glanced over his shoulder and looked at the cars in the distance.

"Right now?" I asked.

"I'm sorry." He started walking away in their direction, "I'll see you tonight?"

"Yeah- of course."

"Great." He smiled widely before walking away.

I turned around, debating on the route to take home, the one I was on was good. I turned back around and came face to face with Peter.

"Oh! Seriously?!" I jumped, "I hate it when you do that."

"I'm sorry." Peter smiled, "Can you hold this for me?" He handed me his ice cream cup.

"Okay?" I said as he shoved it in my free hand, I looked up at his face. He quickly leaned in, crashing his lips against mine for the first time, I kissed him back but he broke the kiss too soon.

"I'll see you tonight." He smiled before taking off.

I smiled to myself as I watched him leave, suddenly feeling awkward with the two cups in my hand.

"I'm eating this!" I called after him. I saw him look at me and give me a thumbs up.